Online article

LOTR, Harry Potter, Elder scrolls, Runescape, Assassins Creed,

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

Honestly, it may be cliché in the GOT fandom, but Jon Snow has always been my favorite character. In my head it seems to be a three way tie between him, Tywin and Tyrion; but if I'm honest its Jon beets them out. I just always found myself connecting with his character, Tywin may be smart, and cunning and Tyrion may be an enjoyable character, but they are just not the kind of people i would see myself in. Jon on the other hand fits right into what my ideal fantasy character would be. (especially with all the mystery *wink* *wink*)

I been a master builder for several years working on multiple servers based mostly in fantasy - ranging from low to high fantasy medieval style. I am a huge fan of the books, show, and enjoy the lore of the series (especially things outlined in 'The World of Ice and Fire). I have also studied medieval art and architecture in university.

I have always been a huge fan of this server, it combines two of my most passionate fandoms - Minecraft and GOT. I have frequently roamed the world that has been built on Westeroscraft always wanting to be a part of the builders community. I feel like I would be a great addition to the server, helping make my mark on the project, as well as to help build some of my favorite places from GOT. Fantasy has always been an escape for me and this server is the purest expression of that; I would love to join and have a dedicated place to help push my building skill as well as to make friends and explore the lands of GOT.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Edgy,
Thanks for your application and for sorting out those Imgur bugs, glad to see you're a fan of GoT and the fantasy genre, you've come to the right place!

Your application shows a lot of potential, it's clear you've put some thought into the tavern and adjoining buildings and have explored our custom block set.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.

- All the individual elements of the tavern are good but there's a degree of complexity to them that probably isn't necessary.
This overhang for instance just wouldn't work from a practical standpoint (maybe a smaller one made of wood could work but it still might be a bit extravagant).
- We try to avoid using full wooden log blocks in builds these days, as when you make a whole town out of them they tend to look a little clunky/repetitive.
- Every project will have it's own unique style depending on the region/wealth/status, so I won't spare too many words on the stylistic choices you've made, only that whenever you're building with stone blocks, always remember to use a mix of stone within the same family of blocks. E.g. the tower you've made all looks to be made of light grey stone bricks, where you could mix in some light stone, cobble etc.
- When adding roof edging, use wooden stairs beneath the slate (or if it's a steeper roof like in the pic below, a mix of half doors and wooden stairs)
- You should also avoid using stone blocks/stairs where the block isn't on the ground or on top of another stone block. Like here the end cap of that roof could just be spruce planks rather than cobblestone.
- Interiors look good, just keep in mind that glass cabinets/windows should be used sparingly, generally only in high class castles/houses/professions.
- Nice job putting the wooden stairs underneath the roof slate in the attic, it's a detail a lot of people miss on their application
- When adding additional stories to your building, you can use stairs to create rafters (running across the shortest span of the house). e.g
- For that Inn sign on the exterior instead of the picture frame you can use the custom profession signs we've got.
- weirwood looks good

Otherwise though you're off to a great start.

If you haven't taken a look yet, this page has some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

For the first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks). Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Edgy, that house is looking great! I think you've really nailed the hawthorne style. There's a nice mix of stone base palette, the daub is looking nice and appropriately symmetrical and the interiors are looking nice too.

By way of feedback I can only make a few small points.
- This looks like more a Middle Class house than a Low Class. It could almost be two houses, a larger middle class one with the wooden roof and adjoining low class thatch house. Here are some examples of low class houses
- the Paper block is also fairly uncommon since literacy would be so low among the lower classes.

Other than that, this is a great build! Nicely done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Take a look at the styleguide at the warp and the finished houses in the White Harbor area and give the house some kind of profession (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/netmaker).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Goodluck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Edgy, nice work
- Overall everything's looking consistent with the WH style, it's a good mix of stone and the roof looks good.
- You wouldn't find a big balcony area with wooden overhang in a crowded city like White Harbor, space is a premium and using that giant space for for just a table and chair wouldn't be practical. That balcony space could be used for a large blacksmith work yard with furnace/bellows.
- Ground floor would have a dirt/gravel floor. Floorboards on ground floors aren't that common.
- Try not to overuse the lanterns/table blocks, go with candles (not stuck to walls) as a light source, and then fill bedrooms with things like baskets, chests and drawers.

Next up, have a go at a Middle class house/profession in the style of /warp wickenden.
Take a look at /warp jobs for a list of professions if you need some ideas.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Edgy,
Thanks for this, it's looking good.

- The overall look is nice and fits with the wickenden style. The L shape house design is always a tricky one as it creates this corner which can look a bit iffy
SOSmJnS.png

- The exterior stairs also probably don't need the big half door railing and the yard wall would be fine without the wattle too.

- Interior bakery setup looks good.

- it's a nit pick but it's also fine to stick with one kind of vegetable for a vegetable patch that small, one block of wheat wouldn't be too useful. They'd keep the grain inside too to avoid spoilage.

Next up, have a go at a low/mid class house in the style of /warp woodwright. Please ask if you have any questions about my feedback or the woodwright style. Good luck!