Dyka Builder Application

Dyka

Mummer
I’m 16 years old.

I’m from Portugal, but I also have French origins.

From my brother, a few years ago. At the time, I didn’t know what Game Of Thrones (GoT) was, but my brother did and he was a big fan. In 2017 I became a fan of the series myself, and I recently remembered the existence of this server and searched for it, the first thing I found was the Youtube Channel.

I like many films and my favorite are the animation films from Studio Ghibli, but I like other films like The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbits), and the Harry Potter series.

All of the above

As specified before, I didn’t read the books (I don't read a lot) so I will be referring to the HBO’s version of the characters.
(Spoilers ahead)
It’s hard to say… GoT is such a vast and complex universe, with so many characters that it becomes hard to choose. Every character has his qualities and his flaws. With that said I would choose either Tyrion Lannister or Petyr Baelish, but I think I’m going with Petyr, why? First of all, he’s not that usual hero, courageous, brave and honorable. I believe he serves himself, and I’m okay with that. I don’t like many of he’s actions, but I don’t have to, I only have to understand why he does what he does. The reason I find Petyr such an interesting character it’s because he is the one pulling many strings, he plays with the seven kingdoms like they are puppets. He tricks everyone and likes to be in control of the situation. He’s objective is clear, he wants power, and that makes him one of the most dangerous persons in Westeros. He is not a loving character, but he is one of the characters I find the most interesting and fascinating.

I would say I’m a pretty average builder, I worked in a few projects and I have some experience, but I still have a lot to improve. I’m used to working with world edit and I know a few thing of voxel sniper. I would say I’m organized, and that I’m a perfectionist. I don’t like things that don’t follow a pattern. I like to cooperate and I always like to work with competent teammates that I can learn with. I do play a lot, more than I should, so I might be present in a lot of occasions.

First of all, the universe of GoT. I love everything about it, including the map, so I would love to help building it, and I feel I could learn a lot more about GoT(I already did, just by visiting the server’s map). Second, the realism. Even though it’s an imaginary universe, the server follows a certain realism and inspiration from the reality, which I’m a big fan of. I love recreating realistic buildings while being creative. It blows my mind the amount of research and attention to detail put into the recreation of Westeros! I’d love to be a part of that process.
I would also like to improve my skills, in building, research and communication, and I think this server can give me that possibility.

*Edit: I've updated some of the images, sorry for any inconveniences.

"YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW" - I’m sorry if I made any mistakes, I reviewed the text but I’m not English so I can’t assure there are no mistakes.

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hi Dyka,
Thanks for your interest in Westeroscraft and for taking the time to put together an application. We happily welcome anyone with some creative energy and a passion for Game of Thrones, so you're in good company. (And it's great to see another Aussie on the team)

I've taken a look at your house and on the whole, it's a great start. You've clearly got some skill with design and thinking through what that kind of house would logically need. As you become acquainted with the server and our building styles you'll become more familiar with the kinds of blocks we would typically use on the average build.

I've just made a few notes on where the house can be improved which should be helpful on your next challenge.

- Use half doors to make sure that bookshelves, cabinets, drawers only have one side visible. Here for example:
aVrV2m5.png

- Also make sure that the slate/thatch roof blocks are not visible from inside:
Kp0rIJ1.png

Use half doors and wooden stairs to cover up the slate, like this:
O2dgd4S.png

- Ground floors are usually a mix of dirt/gravel rather than stone and a middle class house might have floor boards

You're definitely off to a good start, if you haven't already, take a look at http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For your first challenge build please visit /warp hawthornetown and build a low class house in Singleplayer and share screenshots of it in this thread. Low class houses are the ones with thatch rooves.

Thanks again

Dyka

Mummer
Hi! Thank you for the feedback, I’ll have those mistakes in to account for my next builds.

Here is the album for my first challenge:

I might have misunderstood something, but I’m not from Australia if that’s what you meant with: “And it's great to see another Aussie on the team” :)

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
That's a really nice house! Great choice of blocks and nothing too fancy.
Only some small minor notes:
- when adding second levels you can use stairs to create rafters like this.
FniQDKp.png

- and a water barrel might be too heavy to carry up a ladder to the second level, maybe swap it with a chest, basket or sac.

and whoops sorry about that Aussie line, must've mixed up the applications with an Australians :rolleyes:

Other than that, this is a great build! Well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. Generally all houses will have a profession/business on their bottom level e.g. carpenter/baker/blacksmith. Take a look at /warp professions if you're looking for ideas.
This area has a lot of fluidity in it’s style, so pick a house that will challenge you.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Dyka, those houses are fantastic, you've done a great job on them.
There's very little I could suggest to improve, only that I think black slate is used in Highgarden instead of the you've used and you can put a wooden carpet block on top of those signs to give them something to hang on.

Also just be careful of using the glass cabinet block too much, since these are middle class houses you would probably be fine in this case, but they're otherwise used minimally outside of high class buildings.

Next up, have a go at a middle class house in the style of Stony Sept, you can use /warp ss to get there.

Dyka

Mummer
Thank you!

Here is a screenshot of the roof correction, and from this angle you can actually see the horizontal chains used to hang the signs:

Once again, thank you for the feedback. The result of the next challenge will be coming soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: CashBanks

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Dyka,
Those houses look great, well done with emulating the Stony Sept style, it's certainly a challenging one.

I had to try really hard to come up with notes, I might only suggest being mindful of only using the colorful beds in middle/high class houses, in this case it's ok but for low class houses you would probably only use the itchy straw/straw variants. That yellow basket in the yard with the squashes is also full of lemons FYI.

But overall though I think you're all set! I'm confident you have the skills, attitude and attention to detail to make a great contribution to the server. Welcome aboard!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

See you in Westeros!