Download for finished project! (King's Landing)

totoze

Mummer
As far as i know we have finished almost all of kings landing construction and also a few others are getting close .

I think that it wouldn't be honorable to call this stunning project done without posting the final and done version and maybe a few screenshots for the Minecraft community to see.

I know that the westros world is too big to post downloads of everything but at least a download of the finished 2017 version would probably a be good idea ! It just feels kinda sad seeing all these 2014 downloads of kings landing on the net and not get the 2017 version out there ...:D

"Never judge until you see the finished "

totoze

Mummer
The main problem we have with uploading the new KL is that it depends on our custom block mod (whereas old KL was made before that). So they'd need to download our launcher anyways... at which point we'd rather they just visit our server.
Yet you can still explore around the map without the mod if you wish or just download it .
Of course having the map in a single player world to explore for yourself is not the same as in the server , look around in gamemode3 , break some walls , edit builds , or just explode everything with TNT if you wish .. i think it would be very nice to honor the final 2017 version of kings landing with a final download of the complete project . Putting down an optional link to the launcher guide shouldn't be a big deal .. just a bit sad that all that work never gets out there .

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
Totoze you make some nice points and are clearly a good fan of the server, however we’ve had plenty of people try to pay us for the entire map so they can use it on their own servers, potentially taking visitors away from us as we don’t do much in terms of advertising. However this if not to say people don’t know us we get a lot of publicity when we do amazing stuff like KL so our work does get out there, we simply are unwilling at this time to put it out there as downloadable content. We’re working on making the server easier to get on to, and providing you’re alright at building and a nice person we’d love for you (or anyone) to apply for builder!

If you have criticism on how we could make the process to builder better, or experience as a guest better. I’m all open to ideas.

Thanks -waz

Reactions: SseriousBusiness

totoze

Mummer
Totoze you make some nice points and are clearly a good fan of the server, however we’ve had plenty of people try to pay us for the entire map so they can use it on their own servers, potentially taking visitors away from us as we don’t do much in terms of advertising. However this if not to say people don’t know us we get a lot of publicity when we do amazing stuff like KL so our work does get out there, we simply are unwilling at this time to put it out there as downloadable content. We’re working on making the server easier to get on to, and providing you’re alright at building and a nice person we’d love for you (or anyone) to apply for builder!

If you have criticism on how we could make the process to builder better, or experience as a guest better. I’m all open to ideas.

Thanks -waz

I 100% respect that , after all the work gone into the build surely the server should benefit from it . Makeing the content exclusive to the server will probably engage people to log on to the server ... I’m just not sure how exclusive is it anyway , if someone wants the map he can just log on with a map downloader mod and load some chunks for 30 mins . I think I have seen a download of someone that did that and even took credit for himself .

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
Yeah people do, do it. However we have precautions against map downloader mods. (Some slip through)

By making it open to download, more people will have access to it, so more will claim it as their own. I understand you could argue that making it open will end the prohibition on the download stance we take and people will simply enjoy the map. However it doesn’t take much for a 12 year old to claim it on a YouTube video and him get 1000’s of views. Or someone to download and review it without giving us credit.

totoze

Mummer
No, what I mean is that the new map literally depends on the WesterosBlocks mod. It has block ID's which don't exist in vanilla minecraft, which means it'll break and throw up an error if you try to visit the world without the mod.
Normally Minecraft replace every block that can’t be identified with Air so if players downgrade their world to an older version of Minecraft it will be able to handle that . Did you change block IDs of vanilla blocks also ?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Ah, maybe, I used to recall it having an issue with it. Still though, we use custom blocks in our buildings far more than vanilla blocks. So even if all custom blocks are replaced with air, KL wouldn't really be KL anymore, would it? There'd be entire walls, streets, and houses missing. It'd look like someone already fucked it up with TNT, and what's the point of doing it yourself in that case?

I do understand your concerns and reasoning as to why it would be good to upload a map, but at this point the practical and logistical problems are a little too much than we have a good way to handle.