Die Wursttheke Builder Application

What is your Minecraft username?
Icebr3aker

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
Germany

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The Blooddog

What is your favorite build on our server?
Highgarden is pretty nice. Winterfell too

Why do you want to join our server?
Want to test my Skills more. I am building since a Kid and want a bigger project.

2022-07-19_03.28.24.png2022-07-19_03.28.30.png2022-07-19_03.28.40.png2022-07-19_03.28.52.png2022-07-19_03.29.01.png2022-07-19_03.29.29.png2022-07-19_03.29.35.png2022-07-19_03.29.40.png2022-07-19_03.29.54.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Icebr3aker,

Feel free to bump your application or ping me on discord if you go several days without a response. I will try to reply as soon as I can.

Thank you for taking the time to apply. Lovely work on the apphouse. I'm not really seeing any issues with it. I hope this exercise was a useful tool to learn our server's style and building standard. For the ensuing challenge builds, you will be expected to build original houses of your own design that meet the style of the specified location on our server. You will be task with emulating certain elements and practices and combining them into a creation of your own. After each challenge, I will give some feedback.

For your first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of Woodwright. (/warp woodwright for some good examples) with a profession of your choice. Please include a decent sized yard to accommodate the profession you choose.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

First Challenge Build:

Woodwright Style Farmhouse. It stands on a river or lake. They catch fish and held few pigs.2022-07-21_00.11.14.png2022-07-20_23.56.30.png2022-07-20_23.57.30.png

Attachments

• 2022-07-20_23.59.14.png
    2022-07-20_23.59.14.png
    598.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 2022-07-21_00.10.59.png
    2022-07-21_00.10.59.png
    470.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2022-07-20_23.57.15.png
    2022-07-20_23.57.15.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 2022-07-20_23.57.37.png
    2022-07-20_23.57.37.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 2022-07-20_23.58.12.png
    2022-07-20_23.58.12.png
    630.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2022-07-20_23.59.53.png
    2022-07-20_23.59.53.png
    762.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 2022-07-21_00.00.02.png
    2022-07-21_00.00.02.png
    720.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
  • Nice
Reactions: Jeffjunior77

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Icebr3aker,
Overall good work for your first challenge build. Here is my feedback for your house:

Exterior:
- The dormer on the roof should not extend the wall.
- The roof near the bottom gets a bit lumpy and hangs down in a few areas. This technique should be avoided especially on slate houses.
- Your gradient could use a little refinement. Gradients should go a certain way where certain blocks do not touch others. Feel free to visit /warp gradients for a more detailed explanation and visual guide.

Interior:
- Stairs for benches or chairs are considered a bit vanilla and outdated in terms of server standards. Feel free to visit /warp ikea for furniture ideas.
- The previous comment also refers to the sign used on the side.
- Try and break up your interiors into rooms. The inside of the house, while quite small, feels a bit haphazard and unorganized.
- For your floors, make sure they connect from wall to wall in the form of a slab and stair combination. This gives the impression that the floor is being supported via beams. You can see an example here.
- Avoid using fences for railings as it takes up a single block of space that could otherwise be used for something else. It also has the problem of looking vanilla and outdated similar to the stairs as chairs mentioned above.
- Don't forget to support the underside of your roof.

Otherwise, good work on capturing the style of Woodwright. For your next challenge, please build a medium-sized house in the style of /warp tarbeck. Please include a yard. The profession is up to you. I look forward to seeing your build, good luck.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Wurst,

Great improvement from your previous build. Here is my feedback:

Exterior:
- The roof of the house could be tweaked slightly. There are a few areas where the angle changes, especially on the peak/center.
- We tend to avoid logs as structural supports. They tend to look too bulky.
- Your workshop and log storage areas have the right idea but just need to be cleaned up. Overall they are both relatively visually busy and overly detailed.
- The ground mix is a bit messy. I tend to avoid using the path blocks unless they are used in a large clump with one another.
Interior
- Same sort of ground mix issue with the inside. I would avoid path blocks altogether for interiors.
- Good work on fixing the floors/rafters from your previous build.
- Try and cover up drawers, cabinets, benches, ect. on one side with either another block, wall, half door, etc. The texture should be seen from one side only.

Interiors are looking much better as well as the Exterior. Overall tiding up needs to be made, as too much detail tends to be visually noisy. Keep this in mind for your next build! For your next challenge, I'd like for you to make a middle-class house in the style of /warp hammertown. Take a look at the areas industry and numerous professions before deciding on which profession you'd like to recreate. I'd also like for you to include a yard.

Good luck!

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Wurst.

Here is my feedback for your newest challenge build:

Exterior
-Your daub and wattle should have a consistent and continuous pattern throughout.
-Avoid having thatch hang below the roof line. It appears to droop and suggests a flaw in the construction of the roof.
-Half doors on the gable of the house is unnecessary for this type of style.
-The small holes in your thatch roof are a great, subtle touch.
-Great job with the updated chimney. The previous was unsupported and did not fit within server style. But make sure to give it some gradient too!
-The trap doors around the barrel are unnecessary and add too much bulk.

Interior
-The inside of your roof should always have supports/rafters for the thatch to be placed on. This can be achieved using stairs and slabs, and half doors if the roof is peaked/above 45 degrees. Here is an example.

I would like to see an updated version of your previous build with the mentioned feedback I have given, before I assign you a new challenge. Again, any questions or comments or concerns you have, I am more than welcome to answer.

Updated Version of Hammertown Ale Merchant:

2022-07-28_02.46.33.png

Attachments

• 2022-07-28_02.46.47.png
    2022-07-28_02.46.47.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 2022-07-28_02.34.13.png
    2022-07-28_02.34.13.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 2022-07-28_02.34.23.png
    2022-07-28_02.34.23.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 2022-07-28_02.39.07.png
    2022-07-28_02.39.07.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Jeffjunior77

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Updated house looks great!

For your next challenge, I would like for you to make a medium-sized, middle class house, with profession of your choice, in the style of /warp thetor or /warp tortown. Keep in mind the type of materials used as well as an appropriate profession for the area. Good luck!

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Wurst. Hope you have fun exploring the Dornish style and architecture. Overall strong build. There are still a few tweaks here and there that need adjusting as well as some regional style refinement. Here is my feedback for your build.

Exterior:
- Shutters do not go on the outside of the building.
- Dormers are not present. The roof is continuous with the plot shape.
- The ornate brick ornamentation and the stone trim on the wall adjoining the roof are a bit too fancy for a middle class build, but it is not a huge issue.
- It looks like from the picture, but I may not be entirely certain, you used the incorrect palette. You should be using all arbor variants for the gradient and oldtown windows. The Lannisport (which I think you may have used) looks a bit too harsh in transition with the plaster. Easy fix.
- Try and add some weathering, especially around corners. This will give extra detail and more depth to your build.
- The balcony is a bit bulky, especially with the use of the dividers. I would recommend removing the divider entirely. You can also substitute the balcony for a large bay window for air movement and/or add shelves for plants.

The exterior needs some adjustments to fit within the style as well as overall technique.

Interior:
- Wooden furniture in the Tor is oak specific
- I would substitute the stone kitchen work surfaces for wooden ones. This is more realistic as it would be cheaper, easier to construct, and move.

Overall Interiors are well made and organized.

Similar to before, I would like to see an updated version of this build with the implemented changes regarding my feedback. I'm seeing lots of improvement as we continue on, keep up the good work!

Hey Ravish, thank you for your advice.
I hope the new edition meets your expectations.
I sometimes have trouble finding what you mean in german, so i may misunderstand some things. please point this out to me!

2022-07-29_16.31.09.png

Exterior:
Fixed shutters, new roof on the guesthouse, new balcony and new stone trim.
You were right, i choosed the wrong palette. i got problems with dorne mud plaster bc it chances the view depending on biome type. so i switched to the other style with arbor stone and i forgot to switch the lannister stones out of palette. i fixed the stones and the windows too.

Interior:
i switched to the oak kitchen and updated some of the chairs and mobiliar.

I took a few pictures of the biggest changes:

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey wurst! House is looking much better. For your next challenge, I'd like you to create a middle-class house in the style of /warp WhiteHarbor. Good luck!

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Wurst, sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for being patient with me.

As far as your build, excellent work done.
The Exterior of the building looks good, as far as I'm concerned. Here is my feedback for the interiors:

-There are two separate types of iron bar blocks. One as bars and the other with a crossbar. Having the crossbar block on top would make your secure area look supported.
-Your floor/ceiling beams should always run the shortest length of the build.
-Not sure what effect you're trying to achieve with the stairs located on the kitchen and dining floor. Looks like a railing? Regardless, it is unnecessary and bulky; half doors running up the side would work just fine.
-To reiterate, the inside of your roof needs to have supports along the entire interior. Here is an example of what they should look like

You've done remarkable work and improvement across your application. For your next build, I would like for you to make a middle-class, medium sized building with yard included, in the style of /warp Duskendale. I would like for you to choose from the following professions: Apothecary, Baker, Barber, Butcher, Cobbler, or Fishmonger.

Look back through all the feedback and critiques of your previous build to keep in mind certain styles and building techniques as you work on this challenge.
Good luck!

Hey Ravish, thank you for your advice and the next challenge.
I tried to implement your comments on the build.
I will start the new project today.

Attachments

• 2022-08-07_16.13.43.png
    2022-08-07_16.13.43.png
    607.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2022-08-07_16.16.51.png
    2022-08-07_16.16.51.png
    333 KB · Views: 4
  • 2022-08-07_16.17.14.png
    2022-08-07_16.17.14.png
    414.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2022-08-07_16.24.44.png
    2022-08-07_16.24.44.png
    817.6 KB · Views: 5

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
BUMP... need a new job pls
Please don't bump unless its been at least several days, ideally a week. The mods don't always have time to respond to applications on a daily basis.

In the meeantime you can set yourself a challenge or look for ways to improve your last challenge based on feedback others have received on their application builds.

Reactions: Die Wursttheke