Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
Darth_Tragon

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
United States of 'Merica

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The level of seriousness to it all that comes from the definite presence of consequences to character's actions. It is really easy for me to feel like fantasy is goofy, but ASOIAF has always felt mature and *real* in the sense that all the villains have clear motives and all the heroes have a villain inside them too. Absolutely beautifully written world.

What is your favorite build on our server?
This is a test build, but Eag's test for a new dragonstone IMMEDIATELY caught my eye. There is also an unfinished castle on driftmark (forgive me I do not know who built it) and of course Highgarden!! very sophisticated. Don't come for me for having several favorites it's too hard to choose! <3 The shapes and contours involved in aspects of those builds feels natural and prompt if that makes sense. I understand how difficult it is to get a curve out of squares to go the way you want, or even something as simple as a floor design can be a lot more complicated out of nowhere. I like the contours. That is what i appreciate the most about any build on the server--the shapes!

Why do you want to join our server?
The community is wonderful, and they keep asking me to build! I figured why not learn some. I can bring a very critical eye to minute details of a build, I am a perfectionist at heart. While I may take a while to get things done. it will always be my best effort at perfection! And I learn exceptionally quickly, I favor mimicking designs I see in real life or in other builds on youtube, etc. to supplement my own weak areas, but I do also freehand experiment!

2023-02-15_16.41.35.png2023-02-15_16.41.59.png2023-02-15_16.42.15.png2023-02-15_16.42.28.png2023-02-15_16.42.49.png2023-02-15_16.43.10.png2023-02-15_16.43.39.png2023-02-15_16.43.45.png2023-02-15_16.43.54.png2023-02-15_16.44.30.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Tragon, thanks for your application and great to see you've done some exploring of our server already and you're a fan of ASOIAF, you've come to the right place!

Well done with replicating the application house. As I hope you can tell ,we try to put as much detail and signs of life as we can into every single building on the server. Hopefully through this application process you'll see how this approach is carried across our different projects and styles and will give you the core skills to join the team.

You're off to a good start and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make next.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp tarbeck and share screenshots of it in this thread.

Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Tarbeck town. It would be great if you could add a yard to it too.

I might also suggest finding another biome in your singleplayer world with fewer trees so you can get some less obstructed screenshots of the house.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the Tarbeck style.

Good luck!

Darth_Tragon

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Hiya! TYSM for the opportunity to try the challenge out! Here are 10 pictures of my response to the challenge: 2023-02-18_02.24.39 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.24.50 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.25.00 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.25.11 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.25.31 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.25.51 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.26.01 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.26.11 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.26.21 - Copy.png2023-02-18_02.26.31.pngYou can see the apphouse in the background; I apologize for that if it is inappropriate, I just found a not-so-bad stretch of land super close!
P.S. I was checking in this thread today, and noticed my block palette I was suing didn’t get deleted before submission and is an eyesore. Sorry!

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Tragon , great work with this Tarbeck house.

On the whole you've done a nice job, the shape, look and feel of the house is largely consistent with the Tarbeck style. I like the small details you've added like the washing line, the diagonal shape of the house and the foodstuffs hanging from the rope line inside.

My only small note would be to suggest straightening the shape of the brick wall yard, so that it's more of a square like this:

1676870894464.png
Otherwise great work, and no problem at all having the app house in frame.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class professional house in the White Harbor style of /warp gullsgate (the general style in the sprawl outside the main city walls). Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor and residence upstairs, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Would be great if you noted in the post which profession you go with too.

Thanks again and good luck.

Darth_Tragon

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
For my second challenge, located outside of White Harbor, I have chosen to build a house with the profession netmaker. I took inspiration from the surrounding area, as well as Wurst's plot where he has laid out profession help. He showed me that his vertical version of a net loom requires world edit, so I looked at an offhand horizontal one he made on the fly and invented my own. Couldn't have done it without him! Here are the pictures for this build, but I believe there are more than ten:2023-02-20_19.40.22 - Copy.png2023-02-20_19.40.33 - Copy.png2023-02-20_19.41.01 - Copy.png2023-02-20_19.41.15 - Copy.png2023-02-20_19.41.30 - Copy.png2023-02-20_19.42.00 - Copy.png2023-02-20_19.42.19.png2023-02-20_19.42.35.png2023-02-20_19.42.49.png2023-02-20_19.43.03.png

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Trago,
Well done again with this White Harbor net maker, you've clearly explored the depth of detail we can add to our projects - it looks really sophisticated!

All the details look really nice and I can see you're getting the hang of designing the internal layouts of buildings and furnishing them with the appropriate blocks.

My only small note would be that I believe White Harbor uses Black Slate rather than Blue Slate.

I'm also not totally sure if you did this based, but just in case, when adding another floor to a building, we generally have the stair cross beams span the shortest width of the house, rather than the length (this means the beams are shorter/more structurally sound).
2023-02-21_21.08.40.png

For your next (and tentatively final) challenge, it would be great if you could build a middle class professional house in the style of /warp hgtown. As with the White Harbor house, it should have a profession on the ground floor and residence upstairs and you can chose a profession that would make sense around Highgarden/the Reach (e.g. carpenter/wine merchant/tailor/blacksmith) and a yard would be great as well. Take note of the shape of the roof and what kind of blocks would suit a middle class house (nothing too lavish).

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Reactions: Die Wursttheke

Darth_Tragon

Bard
Pronouns
he/him
Here is my very own Highgarden Home! This, like you said, is a middle class home, owned by a wine merchant! I almost forgot to attach the wine cellar picture... how could I forget the most important part?2023-02-21_20.30.11.png2023-02-21_20.35.36.png2023-02-21_20.36.54.png2023-02-21_20.37.11.png2023-02-21_20.37.21.png2023-02-21_20.37.33.png2023-02-21_20.38.15.png2023-02-21_20.38.31.png2023-02-21_20.38.44.png2023-02-21_20.51.21.png

Reactions: Die Wursttheke

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Great work Tragon! You've really nailed all the small details and made a charming wine merchant.

Only small tip would be to suggest using the vertical wooden daub frame block in this section of the façade.

1677128975910.png

I think at this point now you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

You can also toggle open plot markers on the dynmap mc.westeroscraft.com

A Probation leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond.

I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if you're losing interest, not finding enough work to do, or if there's any issues with the probation.

All the best and see you in Westeros!