Darkaveger_13 Builder Application

Darkaveger_13

Bard
20 Years old

Denmark

I believe I saw a video showing Kings Landing 5 Years ago on youtube, finally decided recently I needed to see the entirety with my own eyes after being told how to join by Lucia on a recent video

Boy do I ever! Im a huge fan of The lord of the rings trilogy and plan to read the books in the near future, I've also played the Witcher 3 and read all the Witcher books in English.

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

After some contemplation I must say Jon Snow is my favourite! He is a character brought up in a harsh enviorment with a hatefull Stepmother and a father who for this reason and for guilt cant give him the proper affection as a child. I appreciate his character because despite al he goes through be it show or books he never lets power corrupt him and genuinely cares about others and is willing to die for a greater good that only a few people know about and even less people understand the gravity of. Upholding his fathers virtues of honor, sympathy and courage in a world at constant odds with these traits he not only holds them at bay by survive but also climbs the "ladder" of chaos yet never for selfish reason but for everyone else.

While I have little doubt I have much much to learn from the people of Westeroscraft I am not entirely without experience, I once singlehandedly stood for creation of the creatioon of servers Spawn, Faction Spawn, Minigame spawn using both free hand and world edit. It came to the point where the server (Visited by aprox 300 people before closing down) would allow me to use Wand freely on creative mode and remian a permanent VIP after one purchase normally meant to be a monthly pay. Later I went to Console minecraft for about 3 years and on again off again build on a Medieval city in a creative world without any help tools as they dont exist on console, It is propably a little bit larger than the current Harrenhal in X and Y cordinates and is one of a few though smaller cities in that world (Would be happy to share some pictures of it if Im able to :) )

I really enjoy building medieval themed things in Minecraft, particularily I enjoy the challenge of trying to make compact realistic houses and proper medieval defenses that in theory would work. I always wanted to be able to use this interest to have others being able to enjoy my work, Like I said I've known about WesterosCraft for many years but never really had the oppertunity to join it at the time. Now I do and when I realised I could applicate as a builder I am jumping at the oppertunity to join something large that one day I believe will be something incredible worth widespread fame. I really wanna be a part of that and feel that something on this amazing server has something with my name on it. I also just enjoy the company of others in minecraft and more than anything people who share my love of the middleages, fantasy and a Song of Ice and Fire. I propably have alot to learn from you guys if you will have me and Im always eager to do so. :)

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Dark,
Thanks for your patience with this one, glad you put the time to good use in hunting out the thrones!

Your application shows a lot of potential, it's clear you've put some thought into the house and have explored our custom block set.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.
- I like all the small details of the house like the wood shopping area. and building it on the swamp was a nice touch.
- Overall the shape and layout of the house is good just note that we try to avoid using the big wooden logs too much in houses these days, it's a little outdated as a style as it looks a little clunky and repetitive when used in big towns.
d2a9ziI.png

- Avoid mixing log blocks like this, best to imagine it as one log of the same tree, and you wouldn't expect a tree to have a striped pattern like this.
- We avoid using trapdoors too much as well since they can be closed by randos, best to just use one of the half door blocks.
- We also usually don't mix types of thatch blocks on roofs as it's tricky to make it look natural, sticking to just one kind of thatch is fine.
- Glass blocks are also usually just reserved for middle/high class houses. Just a shutter would be fine on a rural house like this.
-I can see you've put a bit of thought into the rafters, the usual approach is make sure that the exterior roof block isn't visible from inside the house, like below (this was a steeper roof angle and used a combo of half doors and stairs to cover up the exterior roof).
U0citpj.png

You're definitely off to a good start, if you haven't already, take a look at the suggestions on the wiki page http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Reactions: Darkaveger_13

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Dark, great job, there's really not much I could suggest as feedback, perhaps only that it's best to use pewter flagons rather than glass on low class houses, but otherwise the stone brick pallet, daub mix, house layout, interior details and yard are all really good.

For your next challenge, let's see that Highgarden middle class house you were working on.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Dark,
Another really good job. Main suggestion would just be careful with the use of luxury blocks, even in a comfortable middle class place in Highgarden you should avoid adding all those paintings, since they're generally restricted to high class houses. I'm also not sure what the wool blocks in the attic are meant to be? I guess a black smith might have some fabric to add to armor, maybe put them in a basket.

In any case, I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Darkaveger, just a brief heads up about daub & wattle, make sure you're using the "plain white daub" block rather than the plasters. Particularly the one plaster block clashes quite a lot because it has a blue hue, whereas the daub blocks have more of a yellow-brown hue. Also I usually try to not have the underneath of daub & wattle exposed at all in overhangs, so you probably want to use slab blocks in-between the stair blocks there.