ChugChugBug Builder Application

ChugChugBug

Mummer
What is your age?
13-16

In what country are you living?
United Kingdom

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Planet Minecraft

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I just love the wold it is like all the history and places and people. Its just amazing. But if I had to choose 1 thing it would be Tyrion because he is so smart and he is funny.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I love Casterly rock and Lannisport because i just love them as places in the books and the Lannisters are the best. Also I really love the building style.

Why do you want to join our server?
I want to join the server because I love the Game of Thrones world and I just want to be part of this amazing build. I can be useful because I'm very dedicated and I have a lot of time on my hands. I will admit I am not the very best at building but I think that with practise I can improve and what I lack in building skill I make up for in dedication.

Tell us about your build.
My build is set in the Riverlands in a small village. The people who live here are poor farmers but they also fish. I chose the 4 different types of stone because I wanted it to seem quite rundown and look like the people who live there are to poor to fix it. I chose the fish barrel because it shows that they fish and that they eat those fish. I chose the straw beds because i wanted to show again how poor they were.

2021-02-23_11.05.08.png2021-02-23_11.05.19.png2021-02-23_11.05.26.png2021-02-23_11.05.32.png2021-02-23_11.05.42.png2021-02-23_11.05.52.png2021-02-23_11.05.56.png2021-02-23_11.06.00.png2021-02-23_11.06.04.png2021-02-23_11.06.09.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey ChugChugBug

Thanks for being patient! Glad to see your interest in the server.

Overall your house is a step in the right direction, and a big improvement over your previous submission. The interiors in particular seem much more realistic this time. However, there's still a ways to go before it's up to server standards. I'll start by giving some feedback on what I think are the main points:

- Try to have the house follow a well-defined plot shape. Generally go for rectangular houses to start with, where the roof goes lengthwise and you have gables on either end. Study the shapes of the rooves closely too while you're exploring - you usually want to go for straight 45-degree or 60-degree slopes. Once you get more familiar with the basic shape, you can experiment with other common plot shapes, like T-shaped, rectangles with slight diagonal rotations, etc. Avoid square plots and pyramid rooves, though.

- Overall, our current building standards can be summed up by "tasteful simplicity" - while you don't want buildings to look too plain, you also want to avoid adding messiness in the form of noise, harsh contrasts in textures/colors, or unnecessary detail for the sake of detail. To give a specific example of what I mean, the stone gradient in the house is a bit too messy. You want it to be less random and more of a transition from one block to another. I recommend checking out /warp gradient for a tutorial on this.

There are some other points I could make, but at the moment I think it's more useful to provide a list of recent builds that you can study and practice with. Before working on the challenge build (which I'll provide below), I suggest exploring these areas and trying your hand at a few of the styles.

The North
  • Beresford
  • White Harbor
The Riverlands
  • Duskendale
  • Maidenpool
  • Fairmarket
The Vale
  • Wickenden
  • Old Anchor (town at /warp oldanchortown)
The Crownlands
  • King's Landing update (open districts found at /warp KL1, KL8, KL21, KL31, KL32, KL35 and KL36)
  • Gaunt
  • Pyle
The Reach
  • Highgarden
  • Varner
  • Whitegrove
  • Holyhall
  • Woodwright
The Stormlands
  • Felwood
  • Mistwood
The Westerlands
  • Sarsfield
  • Stackspear
  • Silverhill
Dorne
  • The Tor
  • Wyl
Other useful resources
  • /warp gradient
  • /warp furnish

Once you feel comfortable proceeding, for the first challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp woodwright, along with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about the feedback or style. Good luck!