Castle Layout Project

Lord_Stark_05

Storyteller
Hello Everyone! Lately I've been thinking about doing a project that attempts to analyze the layouts of castles, and to potentially answer people's questions like "Where are the stables?" or "Where does the Master-at-Arms reside?" I'll attempt to answer these by doing a rudimentary analysis of the castles, and listing cool features and rooms, as well as looking at notes made by staff in the wikis. If I'm incorrect or missing some things, you can point it out and I'll look improve the product. I've started with House Chelsted but I hope to add more!

( I couldn't publish the link for the Google Doc, so I'll copy paste it here.)
House Chelsted Castle Layout

Guard Towers: Contain spare tools and seating areas for guards. No Beds in towers.

Stables: Houses the horses. Contains 1 bed for a stable worker.

South Servant House: House for a servant. Occupation of the servant isn’t clear.

Storage house: Large building for cart and crate storage. The house of the servant(s) is located near it.

Washerwomen house: Small house in Southeast corner. Occupants are probably washer women (or men).

Guard Barracks: a house below and connects to the Eastern guard tower. Contains Barracks and storage for the guards.

Sept: a small Sept with offerings to the various Seven.

Great Hall: A large hall with a connecting kitchen. Where the lord dines with guests outside of his house. Currently no tables have been set.

Crypts: Located beneath northeast guard tower, with an entrance at ground level. Contains a morgue and a small crypt.

Chelsted Manor: A large house where the Chelsted royal family currently live. Contains a family dining room, a sitting room, and a room with an unclear purpose at ground level. 1 washroom, the Lord’s bedroom, 2 noble family rooms, with one having 2 beds for small children on level 2. Servants of the family live at the top level, and the vault is located in the basement.

Main Keep: Doesn’t house the royal family anymore. Contains the audience chamber and solar at ground level, and a dungeon and storage in the basement. A septon’s room, servant’s room, and the drawbridge room are on level 2. Maester’s quarters, as well as 2 unused rooms on level 3. A storage area and a Rookery are on the roof, with the rookery connecting to the maesters quarters.

Last edited:

Rakdar

Bard
This is great! As a suggestion, I’d advise you to take advantage of the fact you’re already compiling this information and adding it to the Westeroscraft Wiki. That way it will be way more organized and accessible. I do believe anyone can edit the Wiki.

Reactions: SeapunkPeaches

Lord_Stark_05

Storyteller
Should I label the different rooms like the Armory or noble's chambers and where they are located? Or should I label the different towers or parts of the castle and what it contains?