Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
Deiniol

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
United Kingdom

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I was brought up reading 1980s fantasy novels like Raymond E. Feist’s ‘Riftwar Cycle’, David Eddings’ ‘Belgariad’, and Terry Brooks’ ‘Shannara’ books, but they never felt as grounded as ASOIAF. The series was the first that I read that didn’t seem to follow the same fantasy tropes, or at least more subtly. In particular, I most enjoy the political intrigue of Tyrion’s King’s Landing arc in Clash and ASOS, as well as Davos’ visit to White Harbour in ADWD, underpinning the Great Northern Conspiracy against the Boltons.

What is your favorite build on our server?
The French-inspired castles and chateaus of the Reach, such as Highgarden, Holyhall, Varner, and Hammerhal, are amazing, and I think have perfected the traditional castle building style seen on Minecraft. I’m also enjoying the Balkan-inspired builds cropping up in the Stormlands. It is an area of the world I’ve never visited, and the architecture is like nothing else I’ve really seen on Minecraft.

Why do you want to join our server?
I love the idea of transferring a fantasy world on paper, into a realistic medieval world. I’ve been building on single player for quite a while now, but it would be impossible to achieve the scale of Westeroscraft alone.
As a geology student, I think I can bring some knowledge about realistic topography and underlying geology, although my terra skills using WorldEdit are a bit lacking beyond //set, //replace, /mask, and /br. I’ve been a lurker on the server and the forums for quite a while, and thought that with uni breaking up for the summer I may as well try to pitch in.

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Deiniol,

Apologies for the wait. Feel free to bump your application or ping me on discord if you go several days without a response. I will try to reply as soon as I can.

Thank you for taking the time to apply. Lovely work on the apphouse. I'm not really seeing any issues with it. I hope this exercise was a useful tool to learn our server's style and building standard. For the ensuing challenge builds, you will be expected to build original houses of your own design that meet the style of the specified location on our server. You will be task with emulating certain elements and practices and combining them into a creation of your own. After each challenge, I will give some feedback.

For your first challenge build, please make a house in the style of Hammerhall (/warp hammertown for some good examples) with a profession of your choice. Please include a decent sized yard to accommodate the profession you choose.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

Good luck!

Reactions: FD001__

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Deiniol,

Great job with your first challenge. I noticed only a few minor details you should keep in mind:
1.) Try placing fences away from full blocks to avoid the connective texture (unless you want it).
2.) Add some weathering to areas like roofs or foundations where the elements tend to weaken the material. But don't go too crazy or overboard.
3.) Visit /warp crops so you can get an idea of a variety of crops you can use for specific regions.

Other than those few things, I can't really find much wrong with your build, good job.
For your next challenge, please build a mid-class house in the style of /warp oatown. Profession is up to you. The profession will determine if you have a yard or workshop. Wish you luck!

Deiniol

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks! I had seen on the server, quite a few people put half door blocks behind the fences instead of full blocks to stop them attaching, but I couldn't quite get that to work in these builds because of the thicknesses of the walls.

What would you suggest to display weathering? I guess in the foundations I could use stair blocks to suggest erosion of brick walls, but what about on the rooves?

I'd forgotten about that /crops warp, I'll have a look at that now before building my next app!

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Weathering can be displayed in many ways. For foundations it is best to chip away at the corners or near the bottom (like seen here) where there is more likelihood for erosion to take place. Here is another depiction of weathering but given to a wooden support. Lastly for roofs, changing the material to a darker variant helps display rot from rain or other natural elements for wooden materials as seen here. These details are small but can impact the exterior of your build and create an extra touch of realism. I hope these were helpful!

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Deiniol,
Apologies for a late reply. Good job on your Old Anchor house.

Here is my feedback on the following areas:
Exterior:
  • center your overhang supports on the front like this. it's best to start from the center and work your way outwards.
  • stay within 2 or 3 blocks above the roof line so the chimney is not too tall.
  • for your grey stone gradient, the blocks should go: river cobble< cobble< light grey brick. the river cobble should not touch the light grey brick. /warp gradients is a helpful guide that further explains stone gradient. feel free to check it out.
Interior
  • a majority of the time, middle class houses have dirt or gravel flooring, but in this case, I think it is alright.
  • make sure the beams for your floors/ceilings follow the shortest length (follow the width, not the length)
Other than those few notes, your house is looking good. Very nice job on portraying the profession into the yard and the processes that take place. For your next challenge, i would like you to make a house in the style of /warp frost. Yard included. Good luck!

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Deiniol,
Nice work on the Frost style. I'm not seeing any issues with the house. The yard/animal space looks like it's missing a little bit. Adding a water trough or tent for the animals could help improve the overall space that looks vacant.

You've done remarkable work with the previous challenges. For your last and final challenge, I'd like you to create a middle to high class house in the style of /warp tortown. Good luck!

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Deiniol,

Great work on your Tor house. My one and only feedback for this build is that your mirador (enclosed balcony/bay window) should have a support underneath, usually in the form of a fence or fence gate.
-
I've been quite pleased with your work, consider your builder application approved! :)

Please ask a moderator in-game when you are online to be promoted to builder. The next step is to read over the New Builders Guide, located here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide. Also create a probation thread on the Probation Forum.

You can start building at any open location found on the server - you can check /warp build (some of these may possibly be outdated as people forget to update it sometimes) as well as going to our dynmap and toggling the "Open Plot" filter. You can also search the forums for active projects or ask around to see which builds are open.

Also ask a mod to set you up with a plot in the Test world so you can practice building.

A probie leader should respond to your thread within a week or so. There they will give you constructive feedback during your next month and assist in your entry into the server community as well. Once you have completed probation, you will be promoted to full builder.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you and seeing your future creations! :D

RavishMeRed