Block Change Request: Dark "Granite"

Scubooty

Bookbinder
Request: Dark "Granite"

Request Type: Unique Addition (specific to a build, region, or culture)

Describe the use of this block in said build, region, or culture. How is it unique? To the best of your knowledge how could it be used in a different context?
Basically just a black/darker version of the Winterfell Granite for use in dark palette builds such as Harrenhal or Dragonstone. While there are many different blocks to be used in these dark palette builds I find it constricting when trying to make large scale palettes. We currently have bedrock, basalt (cobble/bricks), nether brick, and valyrian stone, the last one being pretty hard to integrate into most gradients. All of the blocks apart from Nether Brick are pretty small bricks or look too crumbly. The largest brick option for walls is Nether brick but I find it to be hard to use except as an accent on builds mostly because it has very large bricks and it's quite glossy rather than matte like the other blocks. Stone Bricks and Stormlands Large Bricks, the two different colored blocks with the same texture aren't very often used as a block in gradients but rather as an accent. Attached is an image to show how the Winterfell granite blends much better into gradients than the nether brick. The addition of this block would add much more texture variation and options for builds such as Harrenhal and Dragonstone which will use these blocks prominently.

Types of evidence to support your request: Canon

Canonical Evidence
The citadel of Dragonstone is wrought of all black stone. Harrenhal's walls and towers are made of black stones.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• 2022-05-25_22.52.38.png
    2022-05-25_22.52.38.png
    904 KB · Views: 30

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
The request makes sense as part of the Harrenhal project, though I do get the impression that Dragonstone utilises the fused Valyrian stone (though sub-variants of that would still be worth discussing at some point).

If you were thinking using Winterfell Granite as a base for the darker brick, would you prefer to keep the top and bottom faces the flat square, or should they be like basalt bricks where they have the small brick pattern on all sides.
2022-05-27_10.58.59.png

Scubooty

Bookbinder
Hey Cash! Yes Dragonstone uses fused stone rather than bricks however I wanted to relate this block to the build as an alternative to the few blocks we have that can fit that description and since the form asks for some possible other uses I thought it was a decent suggestion. To me, the texture could be the same as the granite (which is actually pretty much the same as the sandstones we have too) and have a smooth top since I primarily thought of it as being viewed from the side, though it doesn't matter much to me. Additionally, if builders want to get the texture on the top for let's say a floor I've seen them use hoppers.

• Love
Reactions: AerioOndos