Block Change Request: Dark Brown Slate

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Request: Dark Brown Slate

Request Type: General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
It would add a darker roof slate option for regions such has Stormlands & Vale and others... Furthermore if done right (think the color palette of dark brown sandstone) it should be ambiguous enough to pass for Wooden shingles. Overall it would provide a better, and more historically accurate alternative to a Spruce Planks - which are currently frequently used in older builds in the Vale, Stormlands and the North. Furthermore given the recent renaissance in these regions, I dont think it would necessary out-date any projects that are not up eligible for an update.

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical, Canon

Historical Evidence
Tiles came in wide variety of materials - such as wood, slate or clay, often times the deciding factor of the material was its regional accessibility. ( With clay it is useful to note that the color oftentimes depended on pigments found within the clay such as ocher)

Canonical Evidence
Clash of Kings- Arya IV
Finally the town came into view; a cluster of white houses spread out around the walls of the holdfast, a big sept with a shingled wooden roof...

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Perhaps it could be a similar tone to the brown large sandstone bricks? Some have experimented with using them as roof tiles in test but they're too odd a shape

Reactions: _Simbaa and FD001__

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
The last one is a bit modern but I like the colors.

Attachments

• 2537EF94-CBF5-447C-B0BA-43B6A3C81D0C.jpeg
    2537EF94-CBF5-447C-B0BA-43B6A3C81D0C.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 375E8F6E-4BEF-4E18-8993-85ECE18F3B48.jpeg
    375E8F6E-4BEF-4E18-8993-85ECE18F3B48.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 3496F89F-78C6-444C-BF6D-20D56325207C.jpeg
    3496F89F-78C6-444C-BF6D-20D56325207C.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: FD001__

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Rectangular shingles with a rounded bottom would produce a nice effect. I believe this might be a good time to bring back Tham’s amazing shingle tests. This is something we’ve discussed on and off on for years. Might be good to decide whether or not we’re going to get this done after the update to a new version is done. Get the texture sorted so that it’s easier on emot, mike etc.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Alternatively we can change our slate block (or make a new one) that represents slate more clearly, since in my eyes our current blocks represent roof tiles more than they do slate, even in the differing colours we have.

Slate can be laid in several ways, such as rectengular slating, ardoise coquette, scaled slating and German slating. Most of these forms also exist with tiles (except German slating afaik).
View attachment 6949
View attachment 6950
View attachment 6951

Edit | These already exist in Thamus' texturepack
View attachment 6952

Reactions: FD001__ and EStoop
F

FD001__

Those look fantastic!

Especially the rough slate one, would do wonders in rural Northern/Stormlands projects.

Reactions: Jeffjunior77
I'm all for this request!! I just want to say to be careful with the large sandstone bricks cuz they at least for me have a very chocolate tone that I find doesn't look great. I'd do an in-between of that color and something like this:

1660901448129.png

So not as grey, but definitely not as chocolate brown. Maybe something of this tone?:

kuFVUiefb.jpg
1660902031420.png

Last edited:
F

FD001__

I'm all for this request!! I just want to say to be careful with the large sandstone bricks cuz they at least for me have a very chocolate tone that I find doesn't look great. I'd do an in-between of that color and something like this:

View attachment 13352

So not as grey, but definitely not as chocolate brown. Maybe something of this tone?:

View attachment 13353
View attachment 13354
We should get those slate textures Tham has created, along with shingle variants of Oak/Spruce/Jungle/Northern/Birch. Esp the birch bark looking shingles we see here, because they look very nice.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Imo not all of them are too valuable or at least not for every colour. The ornate tiles are too much imo and some of the forms could be refined with the smaller tiles.