Block Change Request: Create 3D block models for all furnace blocks

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Request for Create 3D block models for all furnace blocks

Request Type:
Change

Request Details
Seeing our current furnaces side-by-side with some fireplace designs based on the use of the arrowslit or window blocks makes it obvious that they are just flat textures.

The current furnace block is used predominantly as a cooking oven.

However, ambiguous uses as smelting furnace, blast furnace, or stove (for heating) are possible.

I don't think making the block 3D conflicts with any of these uses if we keep the content similar to the existing blocks:
- Cold Furnace: Empty
- Lit Furnace: Bright Heat/ Fire/ Coal prevent seeing the content.

It would be possible to make the potential content (cake, bread, casserole, melting pot, firewood, coal) distinctly visible if we decided to resolve all ambiguities in the future. For now, I'm requesting to just replace the blocks as they are but make them 3D to be on par with the trending designs of using arrowslits or window blocks (which constitute ambiguous uses in themselves).

I've attached a draft I made that illustrates this change nicely. Try to describe all current uses of the block you request to be changed.

File(s) attached

Attachments

• ss+(2020-12-30+at+12.28.17).jpg
    ss+(2020-12-30+at+12.28.17).jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Absolutely love this idea and I think most of the community would too! hollow furnaces would be such a great immersion tool and would make rooms feel that little bit larger! I love this!

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Good idea, furnances will feel more real and this detailisation won't break the general "Minecraft perception", like overdetailised 3D blocks in other mods often do!
By the way, I got a crazy idea a couple of days ago - what do you think about making furnances use connected textures? Like, I've seen people placing two furnances besided for bigger fireplace, in old buildings mostly, though. So what about placing two adjacent furnances will make one two block wide furnance with a big hole? Maybe the same for two vertically adjacent furnances, something like a tall furnance?
Both fireplace designs are substituted with other blocks, though, so this idea is completely unnecessary.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I'm not a fan of CTMing fireplaces like that. As you've stated, 2 block wide and 2 block tall fireplaces are already created using other blocks quite easily and there's no need to outdate those.

Also, usually where two furnaces are placed beside each other, its where there is need for cooking multiple different things rather than simply a larger fireplace. Like at an inn or tavern, or potentially a baker.

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
I'm not a fan of CTMing fireplaces like that. As you've stated, 2 block wide and 2 block tall fireplaces are already created using other blocks quite easily and there's no need to outdate those.

Also, usually where two furnaces are placed beside each other, its where there is need for cooking multiple different things rather than simply a larger fireplace. Like at an inn or tavern, or potentially a baker.
Yeah, you're right. It just was a crazy idea, though, not real suggestion

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket

While you're not wrong, most fireplace designs would have at least a 2x2 block footprint while fireplace blocks as suggested by Nikas would result in much slimmer 2x1 footprint, opening up a more aesthetically pleasing way to have a fireplace in a wall that is not shared with a neighbour, as well as allow more intricate and detailed interiors since you wouldn't be forced to have part of the wall be brick or any other fireplace material because the neighbour decided to put up a fireplace.

In most (if not all) instances I've seen a double fireplace I didn't make the connection of needing a double oven like it's a suburban kitchen. I think usually people place two of them together because one is awfully small for an establishment meant to prepare food for multiple people and a bigger, 2x2 or larger oven would take up too much space (especially in an inn).

In short, it's not neccesary but it wouldn't hurt either.

Reactions: Nikas Kunitz

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Good idea, furnances will feel more real and this detailisation won't break the general "Minecraft perception", like overdetailised 3D blocks in other mods often do!
By the way, I got a crazy idea a couple of days ago - what do you think about making furnances use connected textures? Like, I've seen people placing two furnances besided for bigger fireplace, in old buildings mostly, though. So what about placing two adjacent furnances will make one two block wide furnance with a big hole? Maybe the same for two vertically adjacent furnances, something like a tall furnance?
Both fireplace designs are substituted with other blocks, though, so this idea is completely unnecessary.
On the technical side, it wouldn't be possible to have both CTM and a custom block model that makes the fireplace hollow. To have the actual block model change when placed adjacent to other furnace blocks would require messing with blockstates, which would be significantly more complicated.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
A quick side-note, I think I can apply CTM to just one face of a block model i.e. the front or the top. And I have seen ovens, fireboxes, stoves, hearths, etc. in all shapes.

This thing would probably be 1x5 in MC:
e5aee4c4db43c4ac278b7b4f6ebbf274.jpg

This here would be 1*2:
100_3766.JPG

But I'm not sure if displaying this wealth of shapes and applications can reasonably be combined into a single block.

Reactions: AerioOndos