Block Change Request: Apply biome coloring at higher Ys

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Request: Apply biome coloring at higher Ys

Request Type:
Bugfix

Describe the issue as detailed as possible, outline all the steps that lead to undesired behaviour. Include in which biome you have observed the effect. Include a screenshot of your video settings.
At higher altitudes the biome (Jungle) coloring seems to stop working for stone based textures, terrain set & grass are fine, however blocks like cobblestone, light-grey brick etc... lose their biome tint. According to other people, this includes other biomes too!

Example of this can be seen at /warp boggscastle

Last edited:

Scubooty

Bookbinder
Request: Apply biome coloring at higher Ys

Request Type:
Bugfix

Describe the issue as detailed as possible, outline all the steps that lead to undesired behaviour. Include in which biome you have observed the effect. Include a screenshot of your video settings.
At higher altitudes the biome coloring seems to stop working for stone based textures, terrain set & grass are fine, however blocks like cobblestone, light-grey brick etc... lose their biome tint.

Example of this can be seen at /warp boggscastle
Grass textures are affected by this as well. I don't have a screenshot but I have encountered issues where grass shows as a different coloring even though the biome is correct.

Reactions: SseriousBusiness

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
The issue here is that the Swampland biome basically overlaps with the Jungle biome - as can be seen by contrasting the tintmap for cobblestone (left) with the one for eastern islands terrainset (right), which doesn't exhibit this issue:

cobblestone.pngeasternisland.png

This is due to the way minecraft models biome shading indirectly using temperature/humidity regions, which are now also height-dependent as of some previous update. So as you increase in height in the Jungle biome, you move from the top-left of the line labelled "Jungle" to the very bottom-right, and the biome shading becomes equivalent to the ones in the Swampland biome.

There's two solutions I can think of here: the first is to simply make the biome shadings for all stone blocks in the Swampland biome the same as in the Jungle biome. I believe Swampland is only used in the Neck currently anyways, and the status of that region is currently pretty up-in-the-air.

The second one is a bit hackier, but I think it should be possible to apply a biome-specific CTM (different from biome shading; this would basically assign a fixed texture to a stone block in the Jungle biome, without any transition at biome edges), but only have it active above the y-value where the issue is currently happening.