BigDirtyUncle Builder Application

BigDirtyUncle

Mummer

New Zealand

I saw a video of the youtuber ibxtoycat someone doing a tour of the server

The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter

All of the above

All of the above

There are many characters who I love. One who sticks out to me however is Donal Noye because I liked that he became a sort of father figure in some ways to Jon snow after coming to the wall. As someone who practices traditional metalworking I like that hes a blacksmith. I loved his great moment when he takes charge of castle black in SOS. I though it was very cool and he is a very badass character.

Very in depth knowledge of the ASOIAF universe and competent understanding of medieval warfare, clothing, architecture and life. In depth understanding of medieval weaponry and armor from hobby as a blacksmith.

I was amazed to see the effort and years of work that had gone into building the server. It just goes to show the power that storytelling has to spark passion in all of us. I just think that it would be an honor to be able to work towards achieving this project with people so dedicated to honoring GRRM's work. Say the words and I will be your man. I will shield your back and keep your counsel and give my life for yours if need be. I swear it by the old gods and the new.

YOU KNOW NOTHING J ON S N O W !

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey BigDirtyUncle,

Thanks for the application, I'm glad to see your interest in our server!

While you definitely seem to have gotten some of the high-level features of our building style already, it isn't currently up to server standards. However, I think with a bit of practice we can get you there soon enough.

I won't give super in-depth feedback this first time around, but will instead give very general (but quite important) feedback. Try to study the daub & wattle patterns in a lot more detail. Take a look at the house below for instance:

cb894aa1bb.png

Notice how the daub & wattle is used to create a kind of "frame" around the windows. You can use the "plain white daub" in small amounts for this as well, as the above house does. Also, generally try to avoid having the "daub wattle white frame" (the empty frame) in horizontal rows.

Secondly, don't leave the daub & wattle blocks in the overhang exposed on the bottom. Have some sort of supports for the overhang. A pretty simple design is something like this:

46990d09f9.png

As far as windows, one of the windows on the front is also exposed on the bottom. Most people avoid doing fence windows now, instead you can just make an open window, but make sure to have a shutter block in front of it as well.

For the roof, you should use thatch stairs there rather than the full block.

In the interiors, never have flat ceilings. You always need some sort of support like rafters, which you can make using upside-down stairs and/or half slabs. Take a look at the ceiling here for example:

a0a636ce3d.png

Before continuing with this app, I would recommend spending some time around some of our newer builds (for example: King's Landing (esp. /warp klsprawl), White Harbor, Highgarden, Fairmarket, Stoney Sept, Uffering, Bandallon, Westbrook etc) and studying how we build. Specifically, things like interior layouts, furnishings, roof angles, palettes, etc. Try to have an eye for detail. One thing that helps is finding some specific houses that you particularly like, taking screenshots of them, and combining elements from those houses into your own original house (and then, as you get more confident, you can experiment more). Lastly, a couple helpful warps for learning more are /warp gradients and /warp furnish.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about anything I said above! I'm happy to help. When you've experimented with some of the styles above and feel ready to continue this app, post some images of the house which you feel most confident in (make sure to include enough screenshots of the interior so I can get a good sense of it). If you post and update and I don't reply in a couple days, feel free to poke me, we've had a ton of apps recently so it's easy to miss a notification. Good luck!

-Emote

BigDirtyUncle

Mummer
Hi thanks for the reply.

Yeah honestly looking back on that first build having practiced a bit more and explored the server there are a few glaring things im not happy about. I decided to try a lower class building and I was much happier with the results so if you want to consider this one i did in the style of hawthorne town instead then that would be great.

EDIT: oh yeah Im only realizing this now but i forgot to remove the torches on the interior, so if you could just pretend they aren't there then that would be great.

Reactions: Antony

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey BigDirtyUncle,

Thanks for the update, sorry about taking so long to get back to you - been a bit busy recently.

This house is a huge improvement! I really like the storage/loft thing you made inside, that's a great idea. I'll jump right back to some of the feedback I have this time around:

- I think you still need to study the daub & wattle patterns on the server a bit more, since it doesn't seem that you fully incorporated the daub & wattle feedback I gave above. Instead of just having the pattern make a big "X" in the middle of the facade, try using the different patterns to create a frame effect, like in the pictures I linked above. Avoid having the "daub wattle brown frame" (the empty frame) in horizontal rows. You can also use the "plain brown daub" block in small amounts.

- Don't place the wattle fence blocks randomly on the house, it looks especially weird here. If you're trying to use them as a sign of disrepair, consider doing a "blob" somewhere that's been patched or corroded using wattle fence, rather than just scattering blocks randomly on the facade.

- The fireplace here is too much for an ordinary house, it looks like a forge. Instead of having a glowing embers block in front of the furnace block surrounded by stone, just have a single ash block in front of the furnace block.

- Avoid having hanging herbs/garlic/etc. hanging too randomly around the house. Usually they would just have a single rack or line above the kitchen where they hang herbs, kind of like this.

Anyways, good work overall. For a challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp woodwright. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the feedback or style. Good luck!

BigDirtyUncle

Mummer
Thanks for the feedback, I'll get on it. With the hanging herbs above the beds I was trying to replicate something I read where medieval people would hang scented herbs around where they slept to deter fleas and lice. But if thats too much then I'll get rid of them in future builds.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yeah the fleasbane above the bed is fine, I was talking about the positioning of the various herbs in the kitchen.

Reactions: Enah

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey BigDirtyUncle,

Great work on this house! I really don't have much feedback to give, mostly picky things this time around. Most of it is on the exterior, you did a really nice job with the interiors on this house.

- The gradient needs a bit of work. Currently you have 4 different blocks jumbled pretty much randomly, instead what you want to do is start with a "primary block", and start adding a secondary block in "blobs" to represent corrision. Then you can add a third block as a transition between the primary block and secondary block, and so on. The basic idea is to smoothly transition from one block (with some color and texture) to another block (with a different color and texture) through a series of intermediate blocks, where no two adjacent blocks have bad contrast. Again, /warp gradient is a really good tutorial for this.

- By a similar token, try to cut down the random block mixing in the rooves (oak & jungle, and slate & wood). You usually want to make the entire roof out of jungle first, and then maybe add some oak wood in contiguous "blobs" (not random placement) to represent rotting or corrosion. You usually only have to do one or two "blobs" to get the desired effect.

- Right under the center of the peak of the roof, move the upside-down stair block up by one block, replacing the wood plank block above it. It's a small change, but will make a big difference. The roof seems really heavy currently, especially here.

- Some of the shutters appear to be placed the wrong way (here for instance). Make sure the hinges face the window.

- In the veggie gardens, you should use the tilled soil blocks (farmland, the retextured soul sand, or mud blocks) under crops, such as the cabbage.

For the next challenge, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. The middle-class ones can generally be found to the southwest part of the city. As always, feel free to ask if you have any questions on the feedback or the white harbor style. Good luck!