Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
Benrouge

What is your age?
25+

In what country are you living?
France

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The politics, the worldbuilding and all the secret tinfoil hat fan theories.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Yronwood

Why do you want to join our server?
I’ve lurked for several years on the server loving all the builds and sinc I’m starting to build better and better in Minecraft, I thought I might add some small contributions to the server.

2022-08-26_14.47.02.png2022-08-26_14.47.11.png2022-08-26_14.47.18.png2022-08-26_14.47.26.png2022-08-26_14.47.35.png2022-08-26_14.47.45.png2022-08-26_14.47.49.png2022-08-26_14.47.57.png2022-08-26_14.48.05.png2022-08-26_14.48.19.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Benrouge! Nice work with the app house! I see no major issues with it. With this build we hope you catched some of the techniques and ways we have of building here. Now your task will be to build other houses in the style of different locations in our server, but this time instead of copying you will have to come up with a design of your own based on the characteristics of the area we tell you.

Your next challenge will be to build a house in the style of /warp Kerseyford, with a yard. Once you are done you can upload some screenshots here and I will evaluate them as soon as I can. Have fun!​

Reactions: DutchGuard

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Hey Benrouge! Nice work with the house! I really like the work area you did at the outside under a shed. Now I will give you some feedback:​
  • Most of the times I would avoid making L-shaped houses, they look a bit strange unless the L is for an extension or something along those lines. Simple shapes like a rectangle work nicer. There's always exceptions to this rule but I would advise you that.​
  • When doing a yard for a house try to make it with a more regular or polygonal shape, instead of a more "bubbly" look. It tends to look better and a bit more realistic​
  • Nice detail adding the mud patch! I would make it a bit less dramatic (smaller and maybe not using slabs on it) since your yard is on the smaller side and it can look clunky. You can also try using some other blocks to blend the mud onto the dirt around it, like this:​
2022-08-13_18.12.13.png
  • You can tone down the holes and uneveness of the thatch roof just a little, specially the droopy thatch at the edge of the roof.​
  • The chimney looks a bit chunky, both inside and outside. You can look at any house in the server for examples, theres many many designs. Maybe reduce the width of it a bit, and make it not occupy that many blocks. You can keep the big hearth area, that's pretty realistic, but try to reduce the surroundings.​
  • The raised wooden platform for the bed is nice, but you probably need more space for it to work, you can keep it low to the ground like what happens on the app house you did before.​

Hopefully this doesn't seem like a lot! They are all minor things that bit by bit you will get better at. For your next challenge go to /warp Garner and build a house with a yard. Good luck and have fun!​

Reactions: DutchGuard

Benrouge

Mummer
Pronouns
he/him
Hi!

Sorry for the late answer. Thanks for the feedback, it really helps! I know I tend to overdecorate stuff sometimes so it’s really appreciated.

As requested, here is a house with a yard in the style of /warp Garner. I went a bit smaller this time to reflect the low-class style of the majority of houses there, and to see how I could limit myself a bit more in size and decorations.

Reactions: Azulejo

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Don't worry about answering "late" Benrouge, take the time you need to do your app. The only one here who should answer within a week is me hahahaha. Going back to your house, Overal good job! I can tell that you tried to incorporate many of the things I told you. As usual now I will give you some feedback about it:​
  • When doing stone yard walls try to make them more smooth instead of having many jagged edges. What I mean by that is that you should alternate slabs and no slabs on longer strips, so it looks slightly uneven, but not too chaotic.​
  • The yard it's a bit small. Yards usually can be quite big, after all the more yard space the more area for cultivating and working outside.​
  • When using tool benches you should try to cover all the sides but one. That block as well as some others similar to it (like the cabinets) are designed to be covered, cause they look a bit weird if more than one side is showing.​
  • I could say the same about the house, it's a but too small as well. In the Westerlands (where Garner is located) you may find small houses, but not as much as you did. In general I advise you to not do 5 wide houses, as they have 3 wide interiors that can easily look crowded.​
  • Piston top tables look best if they are 2x2, so there's four legs. When doing a 1x1 table you can use other blocks. Yours is a poor house, maybe they took a barrel or a crate from somewhere and repurposed it as a table!​
  • The gradient needs a bit of work, but Westerlands gradients are hard to master, so it's understandable. Overall I would say that you can add a bit more plaster and less stone​
For your next challenge go to /warp OAtown and build a house with a profession and a yard. Have fun!​