Withdrawn Application: House Chambers

zanji

Herald

HOUSE CHAMBERS

(I made this coat of arms myself without any photoshop skills whatsoever since there is no sigil for them so dont judge me for such a simple design :3)

Builder:
zanji

Resume:
- tavern at benjicotscrossing
- House Wells in the north

Lore:
They sided with Rhaenyra Targaryen and the black in the dance of dragons. Apart of that there is nothing known about that house.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lands:

Red: castle
blue: main village/town
orange: hamlets
green: sept
purple: holdfasts
yellow-ish: lumberjack camp
white: mill

(id make a hill where the stream comes from)

Tests:

Houses:

I used mainly houses from Kingdom Come: Deliverance, wich are pretty much bohemian medieval houses. I also used some old buildings from my hometown as inspiration wich have a similar style. The whole area will look a bit like in this game, just with fewer hills.

KCD

My houses ingame:

Castle: Insp. is Slot Loevenstein (netherlands)

(castles ditch connected to the sea, waterflow can be controlled by floodgates)

Castle: ingame

Thank you for reading :)

Attachments

• bath-rattay.jpg
    bath-rattay.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Bailiff's_office_of_Skalitz.jpg
    Bailiff's_office_of_Skalitz.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 2020-04-26_19.05.21.png
    2020-04-26_19.05.21.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 2020-04-26_19.05.32.png
    2020-04-26_19.05.32.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

zanji

Herald
@Nuggets I see what you mean. But I personally would rather have a variety of different styles to choose from, even tho id mainly use the w&d style to prevent it from becomming a mishmash.

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Here is my feedback:
Lands
-your plans are covering only a small fraction of a largely untouched area - I would recommend expanding your plans all the way to the borders of the neighbor projects,
- if youre planning on having a town, you should think about why the town should be there, right now, there is barely anything to support it, no trade routes, next to no population,
- I would encourage to plan your projects around more than just a castle a village and 1-2 holdfasts, try to build up the area and the economy of the lands, dont just have a small castle in the middle of nowhere... make the nowhere into somewhere - think about the economy of the region, why did people decide to settle there, what resources can they gather? how prominent is the house etc...
- The area right now has very old and outdated terrain, perhaps the mods would appreciate if you would tell them more about your plans for the nature and landscape around the project? what sort of trees will you use for the forests, maybe make a test of a forest on your test plot

Tests
- The castle test seems just bland, you didnt even provide us with a sample of a gradient, Furthermore I personally find the castle test extremely boring and it seems to me you didnt really put alot of effort into it, furthermore I think you should google some coastal castles if you plan on having your castle right next to the ocean, you should take in account the weather, tides & waves and the erosion, your test definitely does not look like something that should be next to the ocean
- The house tests are great, however they seem quite big for what youre planning with the lands, I dare say that such a small project shouldnt contain any middle (midlow) class houses
- Nuggs has a point with the pallete

zanji

Herald
Here is my feedback:
Lands
-your plans are covering only a small fraction of a largely untouched area - I would recommend expanding your plans all the way to the borders of the neighbor projects,
- if youre planning on having a town, you should think about why the town should be there, right now, there is barely anything to support it, no trade routes, next to no population,
- I would encourage to plan your projects around more than just a castle a village and 1-2 holdfasts, try to build up the area and the economy of the lands, dont just have a small castle in the middle of nowhere... make the nowhere into somewhere - think about the economy of the region, why did people decide to settle there, what resources can they gather? how prominent is the house etc...
- The area right now has very old and outdated terrain, perhaps the mods would appreciate if you would tell them more about your plans for the nature and landscape around the project? what sort of trees will you use for the forests, maybe make a test of a forest on your test plot

Tests
- The castle test seems just bland, you didnt even provide us with a sample of a gradient, Furthermore I personally find the castle test extremely boring and it seems to me you didnt really put alot of effort into it, furthermore I think you should google some coastal castles if you plan on having your castle right next to the ocean, you should take in account the weather, tides & waves and the erosion, your test definitely does not look like something that should be next to the ocean
- The house tests are great, however they seem quite big for what youre planning with the lands, I dare say that such a small project shouldnt contain any middle (midlow) class houses
- Nuggs has a point with the pallete

So for the Castle: yes, i have to admit that it looks a bit blank. But thats because it (at the moment) only displays the outlines. Any details would be added later.

Gradient: basically this small stone, riverlandcobble, cobblestone, light grey stone and this faint stone. I wanted to add an area with Red bricks where the wall had to be repaired and they used another stone.

Size of the lands: Im never really sure how big i should make them, so i just started small. When they are too small, i can, of course, extend them.

House tests: Id have only made like 2 mid-low class houses anyway. But yeah, they maybe are a bit out of place there. As to the size of the houses, if your reffering to the low class houses, they are not too big imo but im open for critique.

Terrain and landscape:
As inspiration id use the Lüneburger Heide. So a bit hilly but with less flowers. Id make a higher Hill where the stream starts.
lueneburger_heide.jpg
Lueneburger-Heide-1603185.jpg
For the trees: since im not entirely sure about wich trees are allowed in the riverlands and this specific area, i wont make any specifications about that at this point.

Location of the Main Village/town:
Yeah, I see what you mean. I'll take this into consideration when i extend the lands.

Hope i didnt forget anything :)

zanji

Herald
Oh yes, the palette. How i also Said to Nuggets, i personally would prefer a wide variety of styles to choose from. For the most part the houses would be plaster and w&d, and the other, colored houses would be rather rare.

_Simbaa

Printmaker
So for the Castle: yes, i have to admit that it looks a bit blank. But thats because it (at the moment) only displays the outlines. Any details would be added later.
Well, then why dont you show us how it will look with details? it doesnt seem very big, and given the that it requires a flat footprint it shouldnt be a problem to just paste it to its location later?

Gradient: basically this small stone, riverlandcobble, cobblestone, light grey stone and this faint stone. I wanted to add an area with Red bricks where the wall had to be repaired and they used another stone.
its nice that you described the gradient for us, but I am sure its not just me who would rather see how it looks like, there are quite a few ways you can use these block in the gradient

3. For you land inspiration, the lands of house chambers are on a narrow peninsula while your land inspiration picture is inland, are you sure such a biome would be able to form in a coastal region?, wouldnt it be better to take inspiration from a coastal location instead?

4. One of the unique features of the location of House Chambers is that it is one of the few coastal areas in riverlands, along with the fact that the Neck is right next to it, All of this should be reflected in your landscape tests. Such environment is seen nowhere else in the riverlands right now, thus I believe a proper terraforming tests would be on spot as you should not use the standard riverlands set up. (you should still draw inspiration from it)

For the trees: since im not entirely sure about wich trees are allowed in the riverlands and this specific area, i wont make any specifications about that at this point.
so why havent you done any research around riverlands, there are plenty of updated projects in the northern section of it (hagsmire, keath, fairmarket) that all posses a decent forests and ground cover to draw atleast some inspiration from.

6. I am sure I am not the only one who would like to hear more about the planned economy for the region, since its quite isolated it would get little trade, therefore you should consider having there somewhere all the key industries required to self sustain a region.

Anyway this is just my opinion, however I am no Mod, so its up to you how you will use it.

DylanLovesYouJP

Faith Militant
This is just a suggestion. Chambers is relatively close to the Iron Islands, it might be an interesting feature to add an old ruined settlement as evidence of a past Ironborn raid, or provide some evidence of defence against Ironborn raids.

Reactions: Zso and zanji

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
An interesting thing that Johan did with his settlements south of Hoarfrost Hill is have stone houses built inside a destroyed stone one. Thats another thing you should look at.
Also, most defensive structures should focus on repelling an invasion from the sea, rather than across roads.

Think about having small dykes and low ramparts near beaches and possible landing sites, like the people turned the dunes into a wall to help keep them safe.

You’ve placed the project on the Cape of Eagles, which is named for House Mallister and has historically been under their control (like cape kraken was once under ironborn control) so the build style might be more similar to an updated Mallister than Hagsmire, Keath and Erenford. However, House Frey May have come to dominate the area.

You’ve got a very interesting coastal Riverlands project, there aren’t many of them. Give it your best shot!

Reactions: Luk

zanji

Herald
Worked on the plans and the other things, I hope it works out now.

Lands:

1: flat terrain with a dense forest
2: hill with two streams and a dense forest
3: another smaller hill with a dense forest
4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10: cultivating area; (oat, rye, veggies and pastures; farmers are specialized in one certain area)
8: small trading port

red: castle
yellow: space for farming houses, built with some space between each other; their fields are located and seperated behind the houses of each farmer
orange: mill with a granary
light green: sept
purple: accommodations for the septon and the priests
turquoise: port buildings, stables for the castle, storage buildings, some fishermen
light blue: abondoned settlements; raided and looted by iron islanders
blue: lumberjacks
black: hunters
grey: holdfast/watchtower
pink: small watchtower/holdfast

Port:
Ever since trading has played a big role of in the lives of the folk here. Their main export is flesh from the forests rich of animals, wich they trade for all kinds of goods along the west coast of westeros.
The iron islanders raided the settlements on the coast and captured trading ships for decades, until the lord of house Chambers made a deal with them. Lord Chambers pledged to send goods, mainly food, to the iron islands; and in exchange the ironborn stopped pillaging the people.

Watchtower/holdfast:
The watchtower was built to protect the lands from the south, since this road is the only wider access road through the dense forest wich surrounds the lands of house Chambers.
Its a square stone tower out of red bricks with a round wooden palisade around it. The trees near and around the palisade were chopped off the provide better visibility for the guards, who belong to the garrison of the castle. They live here for mutiple weeks until they get replaced by other guards and return home.

Small Watchtower/holdfast:
Basically the same purpose like the one above. Its just a small tower next the narrow road coming from the twins to guard this access road to the lands of house Chambers.

Sept:
The sept is located on the highest hill in the area. It consists out of a tower with facing south and an oblong buiding attached to the tower, much like a medieval european chapel (a little bit like this: https://imgur.com/a/Qny6ob1)
A lichyard with a low stone wall is surrounding the sept. The forrest has a glade to the west, so you get a nice view over the lands of house Chambers (like here):
A path down leads to the other buildings of the sept. Housing, storage buildings aswell as a scriptorium. They also have some small fields to sustain themselfs.

Trees:

from left to right: BPine, PineS, SpruceS, CottonwoodS, CottonwoodM, MapleS, AspenS, AspenM

from left to right: BirchM, AlderM, PecanM, PecanS

according to:

Castle:

I changed the gradient because i didnt like how the other one looked at the wall. So now its just cobblestone and light grey stone patched.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sry for the red lines, idk where they are comming from and how i can remove them :(

Attachments

• neu2.jpg
    neu2.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 5
  • neu2.jpg
    neu2.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 5
  • biedenkopf-castle-germany-hesse-biedenkopf-AJ6DEN.jpg
    biedenkopf-castle-germany-hesse-biedenkopf-AJ6DEN.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1588438845251.png
    1588438845251.png
    629.8 KB · Views: 3
  • neu2.jpg
    neu2.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2020-05-02_20.01.04.png
    2020-05-02_20.01.04.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: an_escaped_duck

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
If you want I can change the biome of that spot on your plot so the cobblestone more closely resembles what it would look like in location

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
That mole is several hundred blocks long, similar in size to the western wall of Kingslanding. Also it would be best if Chambers didn't have a major port as Mallister is the big port known to canon and the site from which the Royal fleet was able to launch an assault on the Iron Islands from during the Greyjoy Rebellion.
If Chambers had a port with such a considerable mole, the force would likely have been split between southerners launching from mallister and northerners launching from Chambers.

There could be a small mole protecting a small fishing fleet and/or pylons stuck into the seafloor with boards between them to decrease erosion from longshore drift.
Also, I don't think there should be many windmills in the project. Elduwin made a really cool map (which I think is in one of the arbor documents) and predicts that due to a mixture of hot and cold air currents, the area above the cape of eagles is quite stormy. Maybe there could be a small donkey breeder or something similar to power a grindstone mill? or maybe a watermill?

Edit: I've updated the message and included some suggestions

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
I didn't make this map, but I find it very useful to interpret the climates of Westeros, so I use it often.
With the Neck very close, it's indeed easy to consider that the whole region would receive lots of rain, and the II are known to be quite stormy, so yes, the Cape of Eagles would have lots of wind, rain and regular storms.

zanji

Herald
There could be a small mole protecting a small fishing fleet and/or pylons stuck into the seafloor with boards between them to decrease erosion from longshore drift.
Also, I don't think there should be many windmills in the project. Elduwin made a really cool map (which I think is in one of the arbor documents) and predicts that due to a mixture of hot and cold air currents, the area above the cape of eagles is quite stormy. Maybe there could be a small donkey breeder or something similar to power a grindstone mill? or maybe a watermill?

the orange squares on the map are supposed to be a watermill

Reactions: AerioOndos

zanji

Herald
Just one question, I dont really understand that: Elduwin said there is a lot of wind in thhe area, and Aek Said there should be many Windmills. But in an area with much wind, wouldnt many windmills make sense there?