Agrhendaer

Bard
What is your Minecraft username?
Agrhendaer

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
Netherlands

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
From a friend

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The architecture. and general setup of cities and the world.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Dragonstone, it looks epic with the organic shapes of the dragons

Why do you want to join our server?
I like building, especially in great detail, and I always like to contribute some of my skills to a large scale project. Maybe even help some people to improve their skillset.

Tell us about your build.
It is a medium medieval house housing 2 regular citizens, it has a small kitchen/storage downstairs with a stove. Upstairs consists of a dining/living room combined with a bedroom for 2 including a closet and attic. Outside is a place to chop wood and keep the stove going.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/U9ToKnk

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, John Snow.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Agrhendaer,
Thanks for your application, it's clear you've put some thought into the house and you've done a really nice job.

You've done well to emulate this style of mixed daub/stone houses, the shape/proportions are great, the daub is nicely symmetrical and patterned and the interior blocks are gerally suited to the wealth/class of the building.

I'll just suggest a few notes that should help with future builds.

- You're on the right track with the exterior wall blocks, I'd just recommend limiting the mix of stone brick blocks to just 2 or 3 varieties and group them together for a smoother gradient. Here are some grey stone mix examples:
1608203027889.png

- Painting blocks are also used fairly sparingly, generally just rich houses/castles.
- We don't' use trapdoors much since they can be opened/closed by guests, wooden slabs/carpets, half doors will generally be fine instead.

The yard details are a nice touch, things like the wood chopping area help give the house a sense it's lived in.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class house in the style of /warp mistwood and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Mistwood town.

Also take a look this page for some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

Basic Building Guide for Applicants | WesterosCraft

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Agrhendaer

Bard
Hello, here is my challenge build, a Low class mistwood house. I chose to make a house with a new addition so I could use some fresher thatch to create a sense of time and detail. It is home to two people with a farm and a butcher table in the garden. Both of these are there in order for the inhabitants to keep themselves fed. For the surroundings I made some trees with a ground clutter existing from a variety of grasses.

I hope you guys like it and I'm looking forward to the feedback.

Reactions: Sapper

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Agrhendaer,
Nice work, Mistwood has a lot of elements to its style so well done with emulating it. There's not a lot of feedback I can give since you've done all the basically elements so well, only a few minor notes.

- It's not a huge deal since logs are rarely used as the primary wall material these days, but I would guess that these two circled logs should be rotated so they are show the same log continuing all the way along. You can generally swap in some jungle/oak logs for variety too.
1608380673086.png
- I'm also not sure if grass would be growing inside the house unless it was abandoned or something.
- Also, while I love the shaders, if you disable them it will allow you to use a potion of nightvision and make your interior screenshots a lot more visible.

Otherwise great stuff, particularly the yard area and all the greenery.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp duskendale. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the finished houses in the Duskendale area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in the town (e.g. carpenter/cooper/blacksmith/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Note in the post which profession you go with as well.

Good luck!

Reactions: Agrhendaer

Agrhendaer

Bard
Here we are, a middle class duskendale house. The bottom floor houses a butcher with a butcher station, shed, and a small vegetable garden in the yard. Upstairs we find a small kitchen with a little storage area behind the staircase connecting with the kitchen. Next to that is the dinner/living room. In the attic we have a small storage room followed by a 2 person bedroom.

As stated before, the profession is butcher.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Agrhendaer, great job with this butcher, I think my only note is that this porch design seems a little curious, not too sure how it works. Not a big deal though.
1608673704837.png

I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

The next step is to make a probation thread in the Probation Forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find a list of these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entry point into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL you may need to be patient while they find the time to respond to you. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't contacted you within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

I'd suggest you also start thinking about what projects you might like to work on, we encourage new builders to first work on "mini-projects" which are small one off areas of other projects, e.g. a hamlet, mill, quarry, and flagged as open for mini-apps by the project leader. Once you've done a few of these you'll be able to apply for a full project.

Make sure to stay in touch and let us know if you're losing interest, not finding enough work to do, or if there's any issues with the probation.

Welcome aboard and I'll see you in Westeros!

Reactions: ContraBlonde