AggUral Builder Application

AggUral

Mummer

Russia

I have watched the development of this server since 2014 and, actualy tried to apply befor. First time I found this server from links under Winterfall map. And this time, I remembered about it watcing WesterosCraft walks on YouTube

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords

All of the above

Tyrion Lannister, because of his wit and intelligence. It is very ineresting to watch how he is trying to survive during the Game of Tones

I like building: create interesting, uniq places and implement storys, related with them, in material. I builded few castles in the past, even some in WesterosCraft Launcher.

I like GoT, medieval history and I want to be a part of such greate thing as this server is.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited:

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey AggUral, thank you for applying to build with us. I think you're off to a really good start!

Things I like:
- Good sensible house shape
- Great use of plants and vines
- Nice interior design

Things that need improvement:
- Stone mix. Rather than a messy mix of blocks, try for something more like the below house
fBtNdu7.png

- The painting is too expensive for a middle-high class house
- This column with stone on top of wood doesn't make sense. A good rule is to not have stone supported by wood
xZIE2wH.png

- I don't think jungle wood was the right choice for this facade, oak or stone might have been better
IcD7o7v.png

- The shed is unusual. A better choice would be one like this
IS1oL09.png

There are more things you can improve on, but I think you'll learn some of these with time. For your challenge, I want you to go to /warp Fairmarket and build a house in that style. My advice is to find 5 houses you like in Fairmarket and take photos of them, then go into singleplayer and use them as a reference to make one of your own. Focus on keeping the interiors humble and realistic, using vegetation sensibly around the house, making a good veggie patch and thinking about how it would connect with other houses.

BTW, this is a good resource to use for building: https://westeroscraft.fandom.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants

Good luck!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey AggUral, great work on the tavern!

Things I like:
- Really good exterior design
- I commend you for thinking about how other buildings around the house might impact on its design. You did a wonderful job portraying this and showed us some knowledge of higher level skills like plotting in doing so
- Excellent interiors - the little bed alcoves are a wonderful touch

- The exterior staircase is a bit clunky with all the spruce half-doors - perhaps wattle fencing may have served your purpose better?
- The stables in the yard are a bit odd with the oak/jungle roof mix contrasting against spruce half-doors
- Oak half-doors may have worked better with the oak stairs in the exterior overhangs rather than spruce - I wonder if you are aware there are multiple types in all the main wood colours?

I think you are right on the cusp of approval, so I have one quick challenge left for you to do. I would like you to build a house in the style of the Flint's Finger region (examples: /warp southwold, hove, saltern, posbrook, clennon etc - you're spoiled for choice with inspiration!). These are the humble homes of fishermen and farmers, and I want to see how well you do at making a realistically poor household, because this is a lot of what we make on the server.

Best of luck!

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey AggUral, great work and thanks for the quick reply!

Things I like:
- Good initiative to put the house into context - even if it is slightly unusual!
- Nice exteriors, fit the bill perfectly

- With the shed, rather than having on of the stone foundations on a different level (due to the uneven terrain) I would have suggested actually altering the terrain to make that shed actually fit without being awkwardly overhanging the cliff
6pAEtqB.png

- Minor/pedantic point, but I wouldn't use the stair-slab-slab-stair approach to the shelter above the table where the fisherman guts/scales his fish. Rather I'd suggest using either all stairs or all slabs (or simply not having a shelter)
- Always remember to mix gravel into your dirt floor! It's an odd point but it's just one of those established things we have on the server
- With the interiors, I appreciate that you've matched them to the environment with regards to the slope of the terrain. While this can sometimes be ok (and in your case allowed for a little attic), in the future try to think about how the actual occupants of the house may have built it, and whether it makes sense for them to have done it that way
- I think you misplaced the wattle block in this picture
7m4aMyx.png

- Only just noticed this, but with the exteriors the trim of the house (the halfslabs and half-door blocks around the sod roof) should all be in one colour rather than jungle and spruce

I know that's a lot of feedback, but a lot of it is just minor points and overall I'm really really impressed with your work. I'd like to see you build a house in the style of /warp Bandallontown. Just find a nice bit of flat plain biome land (even on a flat world will do) and focus on creating some rustic and functional (not overly poor or rich) interiors, and a nice yard.

Good luck!