adensangster Builder Application

adensangster

Mummer

New Zealand

I heard about this project from a Video showcasing the server a few years back. Ever since I've been wanting to have a go at building but up until now, i haven't had the time

The lord of the rings (and other Tolkien books). The Withcher and Harry Potter

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Torgo Nudho (grey worm). And Tywin Lannister. They are tied

Grey Worm is the most loyal character in the show (in my opinion) He is an amazing warrior and I just love the Unsullied

Tywin though, He's a bad ass.. He has an epic history and he is intimidating. Charles Dance mad the character one of the best in the show.

I'm a creative person on minecraft and in the real world. Given some time, I'll be able to create some pretty good pieces of work.
Patience is an attribute I've always had as well as dedication to a job. And making some things at the scale Westeroscraft has, I'm gonna need a lot of that.

I also usually have a decent amount of time I can put toward the project after music courses and everything.

I'm in love with the game of thrones series and I think what you guys have accomplished so far is amazing. I've made cities before that i have thought were huge. They are a village compared to the kings landing you have made.

I wish to broaden my building abilities further than they currently are and I want to test myself with challenging builds. I also would love to contribute to a large scale project like this, especially if the theme is game of thrones!
I also just want to have some fun with building :)

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

EDIT:
The fists build was based off some random houses i saw around the map. I notice now that there aren't many actually built like that anywhere else. SO. I made another build. These buildings have been made to look like some buildings around /warp haigh.

Last edited:

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Adens,

Thanks for your application! You’ve definitely been paying attention to our style and have put a ton of effort in! - Your exteriors are amazing, but with a couple of tweaks your interiors will be just as great!

Here’s some feedback:

- The exteriors are pretty decent but make sure your use of the daub and wattle bricks isn’t random. The placement of the crosses, straight lines, and diagonals should be used to indicate structural support ie. crosses and diagonals leading to the corners to strengthen the pressure points for the roof. They can be used decoratively, but that is a secondary function to their structural one.

- With the house foundations, try not to use a single block, or single block texture. We create a palette for every structure, using complimentary blocks stacked in a way to give the impression of natural weathering or dilapidation. For these houses I’d probably use dark stone bricks to compliment the cobble.

- Interior wise, I think could do with a little work… firstly the thatch roof is unsupported beneath, so I’d definitely add oak slabs and upturned stair blocks to create a support. Examples of this can be seen at /warp woodwright in any of the cottages. Also make sure that your roof is resting on the walls, and not a meter above it. Supports are also needed in your wooden roofed house, and the roof lowered to meet the walls.

- A house this small is unlikely to have any beams or upper floor, so I’d do away with the slab blocks you have crossing the building. If there were any upper level, then the wood should be connecting to the walls, not above them.

- Furnishing wise, there’s a few issues, first off the use of stair blocks as seating is a little outdated, and we have dark thatch, leather, or wooden slabs which make for more realistic seating. Also, diner-style booths weren’t typical in the medieval period, so try stools around a table, rather than a corner ‘nook’. Also be careful of using too many chests - iron banded locking chests were very expensive during the medieval period and should be used scarcely; as with lanterns also!

- Our bench blocks which have cooking utensils, drawers, or other objects on four sides, should only ever have one side showing. Use half-door blocks or other objects to cover the other sides. In regard to bookcase blocks, literacy levels in the medieval period were exceptionally low, and the cost of bound books was so exceptional that they were often chained to desks and bookcases - no personal house like this would likely ever have possession of a book, let alone a shelf full of them, so best to remove these. The altar candles are also a bit odd.. stick to a single candle.

- When creating tables or benches, visit /warp Ikea for examples of furniture. Using full blocks or stair blocks looks a little clunky.

- Your images are from multiple houses, which is a little confusing, and I’ve noticed that the house with the thatch roof doesn’t have any kitchen or sleeping area at all.. All houses must have the facility to cook and have a sleeping area. Take a look at any residential house on the server and you’ll find some great examples of realistic house layout.

- Try not to stack too many ‘storage-related’ items for the sake of filling space, especially on higher levels.. crates and barrels are heavy, and without ropes/pulleys, etc.. they wouldn’t get them up there.. Also consider why they would bother storing an item, is it to be reused? Sentimental or security purposes?

Altogether this is a nice start! For your first challenge, I’d like you to build a low-class net-maker’s house in the style of the docks at /warp whiteharbor.

Once you’ve finished, please post another album of images here.

Good Luck!

adensangster

Mummer
Hey Arkilstorm,

Thanks for the feedback :)
I have made note on the things you suggested to work on. I will admit.. I did kinda slap a load of crates around randomly. looks alright but i see that it's not really that functional for this time period.
I didn't even notice the thing with the 4 sided blocks until you mentioned it. I'll make sure to keep that in mind with future builds.

I've made myself a Low Class net makers house In the style presented at whiteharbor. This Time, it's just the one house ;)

thanks again for the feedback :)
Aden

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Aden,

Thanks for taking that all on board and for cracking on with this so quickly! This new build looks really nice, and only a few minor things to work on! :)

- The house is at the top end of low-class for the area, given it’s height and steep roof. I’d probably mess up the slate roof a little with some dark northern wood to make the owners seem a little more thrifty!

- The workshop space is very large - I’d probably make it half the lower floor, with space at the back for living/cooking with bedrooms upstairs. It’s great that you thought a lot about how netmaking worked, and have made it obvious this is a net maker’s house. With that in mind, most net makers would buy most of their rope rather than twist them all by hand. Your pile of raw thread is a nice touch, but I’d probably put them into a big wooden container rather than taking up what could be a whole room.

- On the ground floor, you should probably have a dirt/gravel mix rather than wood. Most houses wouldn’t have laid a wooden floor unless there was a void beneath for a basement.

- The ceiling for the ground floor is very flat. Consider using wooden slabs and upturned stairs to create rafters running across the width of the house (the shortest distance). You can see examples of this in every two-three storey house in /warp fairmarket.

- Most net making happens on a table or the floor, rather than from the ceiling, as they are woven and moved constantly, so you could probably do away with most of the hanging ropes. Nets can be hung up to be stored, but its unlikely they are worked on whilst suspended.

- The attic space, again there are no supports for the roof. Make sure you use wood to support the slate from beneath. Your furniture is much better up here, but again, consider the size of the house and the space available. Netmaking should take up half the lower floor, with the rear of the house set up as a kitchen/ table with the upper floor set up for sleeping / storage. It was typical in a lot of houses like this, for the hearth to be in the middle of the house, creating a half-wall which bisected the property into two sections. Look at some of the shops in Fairmarket as to how the houses are split.

- Try not to use too much smoke - no more than two blocks of smoke should do!

This is a pretty decent build albeit some small alterations! Really nice work!

For your next challenge, I’d like you to build a middle class tailor in the style of /warp highgardentown

Good Luck!

adensangster

Mummer
Hey Arkilstorm,
Thanks again for the feedback,
I've taking that all into account for this next build :)

Aden

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Aden!

Thanks for doing this so speedily! You’ve built a nice house here! There are a couple of little issues to address, but these are mostly small details.

- Try not to mix stone and wood in the flooring.. houses would either have stone or dirt ground floors with wooden above, not a mix, as random plans of wood int he stonework would just be the worst type of trip hazard, and it looks a little odd in Minecraft!

- Try to avoid using item frames where you can - this was a very nice idea to have the tools on the wall, but they are a vanilla un-retextured block and look a bit ew.

- The outside facade is lovely and I like the use of wooden hoppers and fences to support the overhang, but make sure they’re the same type of wood. Oak/Jungle can be combined to show weathering, and jungle/spruce.. but oak/spruce are too different in colour and look really jarring.

- I’d probably use wooden fences rather than thick logs to hold up your porch, as the carved oak panelling blocks are really designed for interior use, and look a bit heavy to be supporting such a small structure.

- Your roof overhangs by 2 meters.. this is massive and makes the roof look very heavy. Remember that the roof is resting on the walls and they are carrying it’s weight. Overhanging roof shouldn’t be longer than a meter at the absolute most unless there is a secondary support structure outside the walls. To make your roof seem less heavy take a look at the examples below of alternative roof/wall positions.

- Interior-wise I’d follow the same rules as with the outside when it comes to using wood. Stick to one or two types and make their usage very obvious. You have spruce and oak mixed together which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense; also make sure that if you’re using bench drawer blocks, that you cap the sides with a complimentary wood type.. like oak.

- Rather than using the fancy-top tables, use hoppers and slabs to create wooden workbenches and tables. The fancy tables you’re using are really reserved as end-tables for wealthy houses.

- I’d probably remove all the bookcases. Literacy in the medieval period was extremely low and books were written by hand, making them incredibly expensive. There’s no reason for a tailor to have any books in his/her house really, especially 4m of bookcases full. Use this space for material storage or a larger bedroom for the tailor.

- Make sure you use oak doors, oak half-door blocks etc for your walls, rather than mixing the two types.

Altogether this is a pretty decent build - just make sure you pay close attention to detailing and structural shapes.

For your next challenge, I’d like you to build a middle class scribe’s house in the style of /warp fairmarket.

Best of luck!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Aden,

Just checking you're still interested in continuing with this application. Please let me know by the end of the month or I'll lock this thread for the time being.

Many thanks!