Completed Project Application: Oakenshield by MDMeaux

mdmeaux

Envoy
Just moving this across from the old forums to keep it up to date.
Here is the original app for reference:
In order to organise this project better, I have created this map to divide the project into smaller regions, and each region has its own to-do list for organisation purposes.
oakensheildplotts.png
LHT:
- Finish plotting location of houses
- Terra detailing by hand
- Finish plotting yards and braces/retaining walls around steep parts
- Fill remaining space with vegetable farms etc.
- MOD CHECK
- Add professions and materials to houses
- Complete example houses
- Add a welcome area
- MOD CHECK
- Open for building
- Finish castle
- Town defenses and infrastructure
- Ships and piers
- Town detailing
- Vegetation around

South Pastures:
- Finish more detailed terra and smoothing
- Terra detailing by hand
- Plot Farming hamlet
- Plot pastures
- Beacon
- Complete building, detail and vegetation

South beach:
- Finish rough terra
- More detailed terra and smoothing
- Terra beaches
- Plot hamlet and surroundings
- Holdfast
- Longship pen

North Pastures:
- Finish rough terra
- Plot quarry and farming hamlet
- Plot pastures
- Old ironborn mine (derelict)
- Limestone quarry and lime kilns
- Beacon

Lesser Forest:
- Finish rough terra
- Beacon
- Forest

North Beach:
- Finish rough terra
- Terra beach
- Plot fishing hamlet
- Ironborn ruined tower
- Longship pen
- Beacon

Greater forest:
- Finish rough terra
- Plot logging hamlet
- Forest

South fields:
- Finish rough terra
- Plot hamlet
- Plot fields

East fields:
- Finish rough terra
- Plot hamlet
- Plot fields
- Longship pen (possibility)
- Beacon
- Holdfast/watchtower
- Complete building, terra and smoothing

And there we have a roughly complete overview of the to-do list of the project. The steps outlined here are essentially ordered, but not exclusively. Inter-region things such as roads will be added where suitable.

- MDMeaux

Last edited by a moderator:

mdmeaux

Envoy
Well I've finally got a little time again during the hols, so hopefully I can get a more of this done. Brief update: town is coming along nicely, thanks to everyone who has built so far, but one thing I would like to do is (as per suggestions by Fin and a few others) is extend the town walls along the north ridge. There will be a bit more low class housing and some industrial docky stuff in the flat bits near the town, but most of the space inside will be wilderness. This would make for a less odd looking layout and also make more sense defensively. See in game for new plans (grey=low class, brown=dock shit, orange=veggie patches).

I will remain fairly busy with other commitments IRL, so I doubt this project will be finished quickly, but I will do my best to keep it ticking along; cos I'm never gonna give it up.

I also need a new approving mod to take over after Thamus's step down.

Thanks,
- MDMeaux

mdmeaux

Envoy
The terra for the rest of the island is now done! (not necessarily 100% complete, I may touch a bit up by hand later, but essentially). I have loosely plotted out the surrounding lands: could a mod pls check just to make sure its all OK? Should be fairly obvious what everything is, but: iron=pastures, gold=roads, white=houses, grey=ironborn ruins (long abandoned mine in the forest)(apart from where it is silos), pink is towers, yellow glass is crop fields (square pattern as per initial app). There will also be a longship pen on the westernmost south beach.

- MD

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hey! sorry for not coming back to you earlier
It looks good, the general shape of the island is nice!

Here's bit of feedback:
- on the surroundings, at the base of the cliffs, i'd use reach gravel instead of normal gravel, for the color would look better imo
- also, at the base of the cliff, be sure that the terrain is cohesive underwater, you have some blue wool under the cliffs sometimes
- for the vegetation, it's nice, I'd have more ferns here and there, as they can resist the salty environment, and few bushes too
- I'd also have more grass in the ground mix, it seems to have lot of dirt/gravel

Great job so far!

mdmeaux

Envoy
OK, thanks for the feedback!
- will try the Reach gravel, I can imagine it working a lot better
- I haven't got round to touching the under sea level stuff yet, it will all be sorted later
- Will add more ferns. Just for clarification, is that few-er bushes or add a few bushes?
- Will change the ground mix, it did seem a tad dirty, thought it might make it seem a bit more rocky and a bit less green, but it is a bit noisy.

Reactions: Elduwin

mdmeaux

Envoy
Figured this was probably due an update: this is so close to done, but I've had quite a bit going on recently and not masses of time, plus some issues with my PC, and it feels like its taken me as long to get from 90% to 95% as it did to get to 90%, but hopefully I'll be able to finish this within the next few weeks. All that really needs doing is a few finishing touches like little details here and there, and a bit of flora and fauna, I think the tower in the town needs furnishing, and the longship pens need a little bit of work. As for the seabed, I'm not entirely sure what is happening with that? I don't know whether it would be best to leave it as is without painting the terrain on to facilitate blending it with the other islands when they get done?

I did have a spreadsheet somewhere of who contributed what to the town, but I fear it is long gone, so I'm afraid all I can do is thank everyone that built there as a whole.

-MD

mdmeaux

Envoy
Right, I think this is done and ready for post-approval! I have added a temporary sea to the harbour solely for temporary aesthetic purposes, which should be very easy to do properly when the time comes. I have left the seabed unpainted to make it easier when it gets blended with the other islands that still need doing, and so it can all be done in one fell swoop. As for the wiki, I'm not really sure what the current situation is with the Chronicle and everything? If someone could tell me what I need to do I'll get on it.

Some pics:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
PS for visitors: the ocean floor isn't completed, but this will be done along with the 3 other shield islands, and using the same scripts than for the Uffering bay

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
It looks like we've run into a bit of a snafoo with this one because of the name. The Hewett link on the front page goes to the Wall castle Oakenshield instead of one of the existing Hewett pages, both md's and one that already existed.

I'm not really sure how we can fix this scenario, because it seems like we'll need an admin to be able to edit the home page (i.e., the destination of the home page Hewett link)

Reactions: Elduwin and mdmeaux