Completed Project application: Clan Knott By Johan

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
images

Jks, it's exciting to see some more love for the Northern clans (but you're right to be warned about how exhausting snow projects can be).

I like all your tests so far, it would be great if those houses you've designed could also be built diagonally, gives you a lot more flexibility with making the buildings fit into the landscape.

Since I probably know the pain you can expect better than anyone else I'm fine to approve your application, but it would be helpful to get the thoughts of another mod to get some fresh perspective on your plans.

Here's some lessons I learnt from my time in the North.

N6iHvaV.png

I tried out a few different styles of snow vegetation but this one turned out the best I think. It's a layer of oak leaves beneath the top levels of snow layers. Can be tricky on steep slopes though as the leaves become can be come exposed on the sides so it works best on flat areas.

RwZN3pc.png

I also tried putting down layers of carrot/turnip crops and then using WE to replace the soil beneath them with muddy snow, but it's not the neatest option since you can't put any snow on top of the crops and they'll all self-destruct if touched once the soil beneath them is removed.

0esf8rx.png

It's easy to go overboard with the gravel/dirt/mud mix for village paths. Eventually I realised the style that looks best was a narrow line of dirt/gravel with a layer of muddy snow between it and the regular snow to make a gradient.

KlL58ua.png

The roads between villages/hamlets/holdfasts are a pain to make, since you have to clear all the existing trees in the way then smooth out all the snow layers running along side it. I used a script that made it a little easier, but I haven't discovered the perfect way to do it yet. You'll also need to make sure you add slabs every time the road goes up/down a hill. Best advise I could give would be to make the paths before you add any more forests.

vS2BxlO.png

It took me a long time to figure out the best way to add snow to mountains. It's tempting to just get the gunpowder brush and /b snow the entire side of the mountain, but that invariably just scatters snow layers around randomly and doesn't look good (the snow brush also has a habit of sneakily spreading the snow inside houses without you noticing).

If you're starting with the all snow hills like this:
zVV9Kzm.png

get a Northern Terrain block brush (/br sphere 2029:3)
Then add a mask of snow and the angle of cliff you want to make, e.g. /mask [2029:3]&/[50d][90d] and start brushing over the snow.
HG7jPQY.png

The last thing is to remove all snow layers on top of the northern terrain. Use an air brush (/br sphere 0) with a mask of on top of northern terrain /mask [78]&>[2029:3]
K0nmjYO.png

I also made some schemsets for snowy terrain /schset WWDetailSnow and WWDetailSnow2
DGVzpNM.png

When placing tree schems on top of snow, you'll generally always find that the tree sits on top of the snow layer and looks like it's floating, I never figured out what combination of schbr settings and masks to make the schem actually replace the snow layer, but I made a script that automatically fixes it and adds snow/icicles to the tree. I've also got a script that can do a kind of ok job at adding smooth levels of snow gradient over large areas, If you setup liteloader I'll send you them.

tPTSDIw.png

The gunpowder /b snow brush is the fastest way to add semi smooth layers of snow, but you can also use it to lay pebbles down for streams etc if you use a pebble brush and mask to replace the snow layers.

Say you wanted to add some pebbles down for a river, you could cover the area with snow layers, then use a pebble brush with the ID pattern: /br sphere #id[2212] with a snow layer mask: /mask 78
(You can then reverse it to mix some snow layers into the pebbles like this)

faumRpN.png

Last edited:

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
Ha ya ive been warned before about the snow. But ill not give up some of the coolest parts of westeros, before i have at least given it my best.
Thanks for your guide ill make sure to practise at the WE place.
And the houses can be made in diagonals, i have some tests at my plot at the bottom floor of the box :)

Reactions: AerioOndos

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
I have been working on the village and i am happy to say that i now can open it for building. So /warp knott 42 open plots.

Come build, the northmen need houses because winter is coming and it will be cold af.

Reactions: AerioOndos

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
Im opening up for two minis:
If interested you can find closer descriptions in my app. Fell free to apply :)

/warp Knottham1 a Fishing hamlet

/warp KnottHF an HF and hamlet

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
Knott HF Revised.png

I would like to build the Knott HF. Heres my plan for it as seen above and the structural layout as seen below. I decided to make it a first men ruin that was renovated into an Hold Fast. In the plan above the purple outlines are stables and according to Johan this area of Knott provides a bunch of horses to the Knott clan. The pink outlines the extent of the fields for the horses. The red outlines the HF. The Green outlines the house plots. The blue outlines two frozen lakes and a creek that should lead to the ocean. The orange outlines the farm pastures. Finally the grey outlines small wooden/timber watchtowers.

For the house plots I plan to have in total 12 houses with 2 hunters, 1 trapper, 3 farmers, 1 bath house, 2 horsebreeders, 1 horsebreeder/farmer, and I havent decided the professions for the remaining two houses.
2019-04-14_16.23.26.png 2019-04-14_16.23.44.png

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
We have talked in-game, but i have some feedback on the plans:
1. The houses needs to be more huddled together (we can fix this when plotting in-game)
2. The orange will not only be pastures but also some fields right?
3. The mentioned creek that goes out to the ocean is a lot of terra work and pretty notable considering its not part of my original plans or the HF area. The lakes and the creek between them can work though.

I approve!! But keep in mind that we/you might have to make some changes along the way.

Ahorn

Mummer
I want to apply for the fishing hamlet. In Johan's overall application, the fishing village is supposed to mainly be fishers, hunters and shepards but mostly self-sufficient. Also it is the only Knott settlement on the coast to survive both Ironborn and competing clans. I therefore terraformed the hill probably quite extensively to give the hamlet some defensibility(thanks to Majic for the help).
In my proposed plan the hamlet groups around a small square next to a meeting hall, which will also doubles as guesthouse and bathhouse. The house of the headman is the second largest house and residing on the highest point of the hill. Below are more houses as well as two storage cellars hewn into the cliff face. To the south the hamlet is protected by a wall, essentially nothing more than a glorified, taller farm wall with a small barn for sheep next to the gate for the grimmest of winters or when the villagers spot an enemy early enough. Outside the enclosure along the coast are two boat houses and another hut. There will also be some sheep and goat pens/pastures, though there are not layed out yet since I did not have the space on my plot and need to account for the road coming from the south. All houses will be done in the usual Knott style found at /warp Knott, all besides the Headman's house and Meeting hall in the poorer style.

plot map.png

Wool key
Yellow - Simple house
Blue - Headman's house
Grey - Meeting hall
Purple - Barn and storage
Brown - Boathouse
Green - Wall
Pink - Rough path markers

Thank you for reading!

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
I approve!! good work here. Just one thing you say: "All houses will be done in the usual Knott style found at /warp Knott, all besides the Headman's house and Meeting hall in the poorer style." Its Headmans house and the Hall thats will be the larger Knott style and the rest of the houses that will be the smaller knott style. Goodluck!!

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I would like to apply for the ruined first men ringfort.
this is my plan for it. Two houses have been erected using the stone of the fort, particularly fallen stones in the interior. the houses in question are built into the earthen ditches dug to protect the fort.

Black=ruin
Red=first dyke (raise of 2.5 blocks, 45^0 gradient)
Orange=Second dyke (raise of 1.5 blocks over 4. v shallow)
Blue=hunters lodgings, one is closer to Wull style, the larger is Knott small style -I hate microsoft paint-

the dark red hexagon is the area where traps will be laid in, this should probably be expanded, and I was planning to include one of the stilt hunting platforms.

As the fort is just out of eye sight of Knott walls, the fort will be stripped of anything that could have been useful and walls will be maybe 2 or three blocks high at most above the dirt and snow. to make it obvious why that position was abandoned on the plain

Reactions: thecoddfish

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
Hey Aerio thanks for the app :). The plan is good but i have one note. The ringfort seems really small, im not saying it should be huge though. I think if you expand it to the red circle it would be a good size. Its because it wouldn't make sense to build a ringfort so small there cant be any houses in it.
Another thing is that the area here haven't been terraformed yet, so take into account that the area just west of the ringfort is gonna be a lake. I would prefer that the ringfort was made to fit the lake, instead of the lake made to fit ringfort (if you get what i mean). Since i dont know how to make a lake with WE im gonna need some help, and i dont know when that help will come.
I like what you made, but can you wait with construction till the lake is made or marked out?

IMajic

Royal Messenger
Hey Johan

as I've already helped with the 2 previous minis and with the project overall with a lot of the terra/guides/tests. I guess I should just be your Editor but I still want you to have a hand in it all and doing bits yourself so you learn it as we go.
As I've had some prior experience in the north with its terra i can help out of course, I hope to be on the server more in the coming months and should give you some help on your project. (including guides -how to todo certain things with we)

^-also I can help you with the frozen lake as I've made a few and learnt a lot from cash with doing them from st.