vc12355 Builder Application

vc12355

Mummer

USA

I heard about Westeroscraft from the Westeroscraft Walks youtube channel.

Yes, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons
Fire and Blood

Season 1
Season 2

My favorite ASOIAF character is definitely Tyrion Lannister. This is because, despite his diminutive size, he is incredible successful. This is of course due, in part, to his family's status, but also because of his intellect. In a kingdom that mainly values strength of arms, Tyrion's intelligence allows him to be one of the most influential, and dangerous people in the realm.

I believe that the biggest asset I would bring to the Westeroscraft builders team is my attention to detail. I can take a passage from a text or an image from the show and replicate it extremely accurate. I also have a vast knowledge of Medieval life and architecture, so if something is not expressly described in the series I can still make a realistic build.

Having explored the server and seen all of the amazing accomplishments made by your team, I would love to be a part of it. I would love to be able to say that I helped contribute to the staggering and astonishing world that is being created.

You know nothing John Snow

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey VC
Thanks for your application and glad to see you're a big fan of ASOIAF, you've come to the right place!

Your application shows a lot of potential, it's clear you've put some thought into the house and have explored our custom block set.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.

- The exterior block choice of stone/daub is great and you've done a good job with keeping the daub symmetrical.

- With the roof line, for houses of this style we generally try to have them peaked, and then have the actual house a bit taller and skinnier like in this example:

- We usually aim to have each house floor be about 3 blocks high, and you can use a mix of wooden stairs for the upper story floor to create rafters.

- On the whole you've done well with the internal layour and block choices. Houses are generally divided up between Low, Middle and High Class, which determines what kind of blocks are suitable for using. Just FYI, blocks like window glass, paintings and books are almost always reserved for High Class houses. Fancy coloured beds are usually restricted to High and Middle Class too.

- We also try to limit the use of torches, candles or sometimes lanterns will usually do the trick.

- Each house will almost always double as someone's professional place of business, most often a business on the ground floor and residence upstairs (except farmers who just work in the fields). I can tell you've designated the ground floor as an animal pen or a stable perhaps, in future it'll help to build with a specific profession in mind (e.g. carpenter, butcher, tailor, cobbler etc), as it makes finishing the whole house a lot easier.

If you haven't taken a look yet, this page has some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

For the first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house). Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style. Good luck!

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks VC,
That's looking very nice, the shape and layout is all top notch.
Just a few minor tips
- With the roof, the stairs at the edge will usually be double layered with something underneath them, either wood stairs or another layer of thatch, seems like most low class hawthorne houses use use another reversed layer of thatch like here

- Chimney could be one block shorter

- Using a variety of the stone palette mix is always encouraged, so with the base brick layer of the house you could make it a mix, vivid dark sandstone, monochrome sandstone and vivid sandstone.

- Interior looks great!

You've made a really good start so far! For the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp ghosthill. Something of a similar style to a house like this:

Since this is a middle class town, each house should have some kind of profession on the ground floor, you can visit /warp jobs for some ideas. Even though it's middle class, restraint is still encouraged with the kinds of blocks to use (avoid anything too luxurious like glass cabinets, fancy stools or beds)

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the Ghost Hill style. Good luck!

vc12355

Mummer
There is my ghost hill style armorers and house, The only thing I could get to work was the sign for the armorers to hang on the wall.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Looking very nice, you've done well with adapting the Ghost Hill style.
- You can try to stagger the line between the two colors of clay a bit so it's not such a clear transition between the two.
Like here the brownish plaster goes up and down a bit before becoming the white clay.

- Make sure you've got a half door on that second exposed side of the mason's bench block on the end, only one face should be exposed.

- the furnace is fine but with metal working professionals like armorers/blacksmiths, you can feel free to make them a little more elaborate with stair blocks/embers. Here's some examples:

- Not a problem since you wouldn't have known, but we're not supposed to use armor stand blocks (since they glitch out a bit with World Edit)

Great work otherwise! For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Keep in mind that the style there is a bit more complex, so take your time and feel free to ask questions. I don't expect you to have any trouble with it though.

When you're finished and taking screenshots, it would be great if you could get a few shots of the house from different angles and different sides, as well as the interior roof rafters and individual rooms.

Good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey VC, that's a very nice house, I like everything I'm seeing so far, (though the painting might be a little out of their price range, they're generally not used outside of high class houses)

Is there a profession of some kind on the bottom level? Looks like an inn but not sure. Most houses also have a small yard in the back for laundry/vegetables

vc12355

Mummer
I actually meant for it to be kind of a money changers office on the first floor. And yeah I forgot to put in a garden

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Ok for your last challenge, have a go at a middle class white harbor professional's house. Like the money changer, the ground floor/yard will be used by the business and the upstairs is residential.
Something like one of these:

Check out /warp jobs for a list of relevant middle class professions.

and you can find a middle class style guide at /warp whsprawl

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey VC
Great job overall.
- Shape/gradient of the house is spot on and interior looks good too,the butcher was a good choice.

- Try to limit the number of candles attached to walls, it's generally not too common, try to find a spot for them on top of a table/bench.

- Potentially a few too many crates on the top floor, they'd be pretty heavy/tricky to get upstairs so you could mix in a few baskets/sacs and chests for some variety.

- A butcher might have a shed in the back yard for the salted meats etc, could also add a clothesline/washing area.

Otherwise I think you're all set! I'm confident you have the skills, attitude and attention to detail to make a great contribution to the server. Welcome aboard!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings. Our Probie leaders are pretty stretched for time at the moment so we ask for patience if there's a bit of delay with getting feedback, but use the time to build probation houses and get notes from project leads.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

See you in Westeros!