Completed Probation: ArtonRed

ArtonRed

Storyteller
Probie Build #1
/warp Aberfield
261; 46; 13842
a Potter with yard

I'm not sure whether I should add fences around the yard since all fences seem to be prebuild by the project leader. The kiln is maybe a bit oversized. I can change it to a smaller design.

Reactions: Flip90

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Welcome to the team, Arton!
I will be your probie leader!
I'll get to your homes as soon as I can get on.

I do want to a note a few things I think help improve all builds beforehand though :).
  • Think logically about everything. Put yourself in peasantry, nobility etc. shoes.
  • Don't fill space for the sake of it. If you're an artsy person you may know that white space isn't a misuse of the space. This can be applied to homes and yards.
  • People had to eat to live, if you have a yard it should be filled with plentiful sources of food
  • Try to tell a story with your homes (makes them more fun to decorate too!)
  • Hall way builds should be avoided. For example, if you have a 3x7 interior (not exterior) don't push everything to the side.
  • Make friends, many people find their place in this community not by building by by engaging with the community. If you fly around test, its a testament to the goofy things we do and I personally find great joy in seeing it. Friendship and engagement help create an atmosphere you feel comfortable to participate in.
Lastly, my big thing as a probie leader is to see you're listening to feedback. I'm not always right, and rather people often call me out for being wrong or misguided in my critique, which is totally fair, throw everything I say out the window once this is over. But I think that being able to apply someones advice or input we disagree with helps us grow. I've definitely changed things to a way I don't like, but it helped define my preferences and reasoning. Feedback is a constantly flowing thing on the server and helps us improve both our builds but also our ability to stand behind our choices.

I generally like to do things in game 1 on 1 but it seems our schedules don't align (I'm at work during the time you make all these posts). So let me know if you prefer melons, or forum posts. Whatever makes you most comfortable. Or we can try to schedule a time that works for both of us! I believe being able to communicate with one another about a house and explain our opinions and reasons is the most beneficial form of critique.

Best of luck, hope you're having fun! Can't wait to see what you bring to the table, I'm sure it's awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: Flip90

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Arton here is the critique on your first build in the potterer(?)Potterrerrerer!

The good:
The great exterior of the home!
For having a messy thatch roof you didn't overdo it and make it look lumpy. Thats something people struggle with on their first home or two.
Overall the vibe and style of the home is strong and fits with the server and homes around it.
The interior arrangement is well done

Things to improve: (Sorry its your first home and this is okay! The list is long on many first builds!)
  • The kiln is more suitable outside the house. The kiln as you see is a rather large structure and it would've crowded the small space. If you also do a bit of googling you'd find that majority of potterers had kilns outdoors rather than indoors. While not improbable to have one indoors in the medieval times and early renaissance, a small potterer would more likely keep theirs outside of their wooden home.
  • The interior is pretty well done but there are few issues. I would like to note that you have a lot of utensil blocks placed. Utensils like pots and pans were expensive and the blocks we have currently depict more than one of each item. While they could have had a pot and a knife it is unlikely they'd afford more than that. So follow the rule "one utensil block per home" to make this read more realistic.
  • Butcher knives should be for butchers only, big long and more expensive. A good dagger is versatile and should do the trick. But this is an opinion of mine and not a concrete concept we follow so feel free to toss this advice out the window at the end of the month. :D.
  • Knock the garlic block out. It feels as if it is hanging there because you are possibly afraid of unused space. As I mentioned in my previous post (after you built this :D) white(unused) space isn't bad! You can "activate" it by creating strong interiors layouts.
  • Not sure why they need a wheelbarrow for the clay or such a large basin. I would consider removing the clay from the barrow and shrinking the clay storage down a few blocks or two :) It'll help make this space feel less cluttered.
  • I don't know what the buttons are for but I think they're adding to the clutter.
  • Not sure about the big table maybe test two 2x3? The 2x4 is just big enough to start to look ... odd? If you love it go for it it's just a suggestion or something I'd do myself.
  • As noted in my above post (which again, was written after you built this :D) yards fed faces. Use the space in a way that maximizes their food sources. This is something I believe strongly in myself, but I know other builders don't mind. But I love me some pretty and lush crop yards :). This also may look different once you move the kiln.
  • Not sure about the hut being in the middle there I don't mind it not aligning the fence, but I don't know why they'd keep it in the middle and narrow the side paths so much. You can ask someone with world edit to shift it a block over if you decided to move it.
  • You can do that stone wall, just look around the area for references and imitate the style of that while using the stair and slab patter already placed. If the leader doesn't like it, they'll melon you or change it themselves :).

I knooooow there is a lot here and I by no means want this to deter you from continuing to build. To even get accepted to build proves your talent and this is still a great home! The real issues are just with some logical stuff that you've probably never thought about before and that's okay, it's a learning curve many face and was one that I had too. Heck, you're doing better than I did. So from now take what I said in my initial post and start applying those to your builds. I would also start to encourage you to do a bit of research on the professions (if you haven't already) and try to really apply some of the historical logic.

I'll probably look at your most recent home next to see how you've improved since this home by building on the server more. Great work, keep the posts coming and have a wonderful vacay!

Reactions: ArtonRed

ArtonRed

Storyteller
Hey otty, thank you for beeing my probie leader and for the feedback. :) I've implemented most of it.

I agree that it would be more suitable to have the kiln outside. However the position and size of the chimney was already marked. Since it is rather large I thought it would be best suited as the chimney of the kiln. That only leaves the insite of the house because next to it there isn't really space.

I too would prefer to meet in-game. Currently I almost have always time so it should hopefully be possible to finde a time that works (and that I've posted only when you work is probably just a coincidence).

Reactions: otty

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
I work 9am-5pm CST and normally can't get on till closer to 6:30-7pm if anytime after that works for you

ArtonRed

Storyteller
Unfortunately in my timezone that would be in the middle of the night. I guess melons or forum posts should work.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Unfortunately in my timezone that would be in the middle of the night. I guess melons or forum posts should work.
Thats totally okay, and I feared such. As a supplement, I encourage you to get others' feedback and input on your homes since I won't be able to do the same 1 on 1.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Arton! Have you got any other builds for me?

I just reviewed your 5th home listed here and honestly, I have no critique! Really quality builds, and I love the duckweed as a chopped herb on the counter. Don't know if you saw it somewhere else and used the idea, or if it's original, either way, I love it! Great job!

ArtonRed

Storyteller
Hey otty, I haven't build more than the five builds yet because I can't find any open plots. But since it seems some KL districts will open soon-ish that should hopefully change.
The duckweed is actually used like that in the application house.

ArtonRed

Storyteller
Probie Build #7
/warp oatown
7839; 39; 4518
a butcher
The facade facing the street under the tower and the overall structure of the house were already done.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Arton!

Looks like you're keeping up the great work!

The Varner ham is well done, you're interiors are very strong for a new build!
The only noticeable issue is I am a bit confused as to why the back has a stone foundation and the front does not? Mistake maybe? Dunno if that was a project lead request or not!

The space for the blacksmith is okay, but the fireplace you have currently isn't exactly accurate to what a blacksmith would have. A black smith would have a forge, where the coal and stone extends out from the main mantel.
e7c982fb7934fe3e71073a1d32394fc3.jpg

Anthony showed me one that is in DD and the cords for it is 5212/-/11616.
Just keep in mind to research and reference both irl and in-game designs when you can.

Reactions: Guillaaard

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
For the OaTown Butcher, I do have a bit of a concern for the interiors on this one. You divided the space up a lot using half doors. This I personally perceive as a bit dated. The narrow and hard-to-run-around homes feel to be something you'd see in our older homes. Open spaces that breathe are something I see as more up-to-date. I really don't want to make any further comments just in case this interior layout wasn't yours. Otherwise, I'd be happy to discuss with you solutions to improve this space. Your lower-class homes are seriously awesome tho, and this is by no means a setback.

Reactions: JJLyric

ArtonRed

Storyteller
Hey otty, thank you for the feedback.
I changed my design of the forge and added a bellows (which I somehow forgot). I'm not sure if I have found the example you wrote about since the blacksmith I visited was somewhat farther away from the coordinates.
That there is only a stone foundation in the back is intentional. I thought it would make sense to have some sort of retaining wall since the house is located on a slope.

The interior layout of the oatown butcher is mine. I have changed the staircase and the upper floor somewhat in hope to make it a bit more open.

Reactions: JJLyric