ErosTea

Bard
What is your Minecraft username?
ErosTea

What is your age?
13-17

In what country are you living?
United States

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Through youtube a couple of years ago.

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
As a creative writer myself, I love the intricate worldbuilding and lore created within ASoIaF and how it's generally portrayed within Game of Thrones.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Highgarden, I've always been fascinated with the opulence of the Tyrells and the build captures that perfectly.

Why do you want to join our server?
Joining Westeroscraft would be combining some of my favorite things together such as building and being immersed into one of the best fantasy worlds ever created. It'd also help me improve my building style and give me a unique opportunity to work on this amazing project.

2021-05-28.png
2021-05-28 (2).png
2021-05-28 (1).png

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Eros,

Great to see you applying, and I love your enthusiasm in playing around with different styles.

The apphouse looks good; not seeing any issues there. I won't be able to give super detailed feedback on all of the other tests you made, but I can point out a few general things:

- This room looks pretty good! But I wouldn't use that chandelier design, since it's pretty obvious that the candles are floating without being connected to anything. Also, I think the mirror above the fireplace would look better flush with the wall rather than recessed.

- The second test has some interesting ideas, but overall feels like it has way too much going on. I'd suggest toning down the materials a bit and going for a more consistent theme. Also, I think the windows in the rightmost building take up a bit too much of the facade.

- The third test is your best one yet! Honestly it looks really nice, especially the center (blue) house. However, I still feel like the materials are a slight bit too eclectic and could be made a little more consistent. Regarding the timber patterns, I wouldn't recommend using the close-studding variant in that way (single blocks mixed in with other timber variants). I wrote about this a bit more in my recent KL remaster style post.

- The last test is in a bit of an outdated style (as you're probably aware). That said, it's not bad. The CTM plaster blocks can be a bit tricky to use - ideally, you want the plaster to be one continuous, connected surface rather than broken up into multiple small patches. The house on the left gets it a bit better than the house on the right.

For the first challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp tortown. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

ErosTea

Bard
Hey Eros,

Great to see you applying, and I love your enthusiasm in playing around with different styles.

The apphouse looks good; not seeing any issues there. I won't be able to give super detailed feedback on all of the other tests you made, but I can point out a few general things:

- This room looks pretty good! But I wouldn't use that chandelier design, since it's pretty obvious that the candles are floating without being connected to anything. Also, I think the mirror above the fireplace would look better flush with the wall rather than recessed.

- The second test has some interesting ideas, but overall feels like it has way too much going on. I'd suggest toning down the materials a bit and going for a more consistent theme. Also, I think the windows in the rightmost building take up a bit too much of the facade.

- The third test is your best one yet! Honestly it looks really nice, especially the center (blue) house. However, I still feel like the materials are a slight bit too eclectic and could be made a little more consistent. Regarding the timber patterns, I wouldn't recommend using the close-studding variant in that way (single blocks mixed in with other timber variants). I wrote about this a bit more in my recent KL remaster style post.

- The last test is in a bit of an outdated style (as you're probably aware). That said, it's not bad. The CTM plaster blocks can be a bit tricky to use - ideally, you want the plaster to be one continuous, connected surface rather than broken up into multiple small patches. The house on the left gets it a bit better than the house on the right.

For the first challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp tortown. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Hey Emot!

Super glad to work with you and thanks again for the feedback! For the last test, I based the second home off of a picture I saw in real life, is it ok to mimic things that are super worn like that or should I go for a more idealistic/aesthetic version that shows more of the plaster?

I also did the Tor home, not exactly sure if this is middle class as the build I saw didn't have any levels but finger crossed it is!
2021-06-05 (3).png2021-06-05 (4).png2021-06-05 (2).png2021-06-05.png2021-06-05 (1).png

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Eros,

Awesome work on the Tor house! Regarding your question about mimicking IRL insp, it's certainly okay and encouraged to experiment with doing so. However, since we're building in a fairly constrained minecraft environment, a lot of things won't really translate well. So you basically want to balance faithfulness to the IRL inspiration on the one hand, and following what looks the best aesthetically in minecraft on the other hand. In this case, because the border between the plaster texture and the stone texture is so sudden (whereas IRL weathering usually is a bit more subtle), I think it generally looks better to have the uninterrupted plaster.

Anyways, not really seeing any issues with the Tor house, it looks great! The only thing I'd point out is that you should avoid having the arrow slit block in the corner on this side.

For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp duskendale. Please include a moderately sized yard as well. Let me know if you have any questions; good luck!

ErosTea

Bard
Its been like two years but heres the duskendale stuff. I think i made the house too long but i dont have w/e so i just kept it :p
Images as listed:
-back
-front
-bedroom
-kitchen/dining
-storage
-attic
2023-08-11_16.11.38.png2023-08-11_16.11.45.png
2023-08-11_16.10.40.png2023-08-11_16.11.04.png2023-08-11_16.11.28.png2023-08-11_16.23.38.png

Reactions: Emoticone11

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Eros,

It only took two years, but awesome job on this challenge! :) The facade in the second pic is particularly well-made. My only main feedback is that, for the yard-facing side, I would just use the same roof style as the other side, with an overhanging gable. Asymmetrical eaves should only be used in some special cases. Also, I'm not sure if that style of gable (with the hipped overhang at the peak) is found in Duskendale.

Otherwise, it seems clear to me that you've retained your building abilities despite being gone for a while, so I'm happy to promote you at this point.

The next step is to ask a moderator in-game to promote you next time you catch one online. Make sure to read over the New Builder guide, found here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/how-to/new-builders-guide
And also make yourself a probation thread in the probation forum.

You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these by going to our dynmap and toggling "Open Plot" (if a project lead marked their plots with open plot tags), or otherwise just checking the forums and asking around to see which builds are open. Also, you can ask a mod to set you up with a plot in the Test world where you can practice building.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so, give constructive feedback on your houses for the next month, and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general. As sometimes the probie leaders can be busy IRL, I also highly suggest seeking out feedback from project leaders and other online builders. At the end, you'll be made full builder.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :)