Block Change Request: Arbor Small Brick variants addition / Arbor Large brick retexture

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Request: Arbor Small Brick variants addition / Arbor Large brick retexture

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
Request the addition of variants (slab/stairs/hopper/arrowslits/etc) for the Arbor Small Brick block.
It has proven highly necessary for gradients for the Arbor.

Request the retexture of the Arbor Brick to blend better with the other Arbor blocks.
It could gain a bit more contrast and/or would need to change a bit the colors and hues of the block.

I've communicated these requests to Emot, but I wanted to go through the form to make sure there wasn't any requests lost :)

Thanks guys for the form system!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
That sounds like a reasonable request! I must admit when I made that texture I overdid the roundness of the block, gave it too little contrast, and made the 'bricks' really large. They are more the size of oversized cinder blocks.

To correct my shame I'd like to ask you if you would be interested in any of the masoned stone textures I prototyped here? I'd match the colors of course with the other Arbor blocks and throw in some random CTM of course.

From left to right they are:
Regulated cut stone - Stretcher Bond - Smooth Finish
Regulated cut stone - Stretcher Bond - Boasted Margin Finish
Regulated cut stone - Opus Pseudoisodoma
Regulated cut stone - Opus Pseudoisodoma - Quarry Faced Finish
Regulated cut stone - Opus Quadratus Greek previously Flemish Bond
Regulated cut stone - Opus Quadratus Greek previously Flemish Bond - Boasted Finish
Regulated cut stone - Stretcher Bond - Larger Blocks
Regulated cut stone - Stretcher Bond - Larger Blocks - Quarry Faced Finish
Lightly worked stone, but not finely cut
Uncut stone
Uncut stone without mortar
Rounded on top, mostly of basalt
Rounded on top, mostly of basalt
Large cut stones with a polished surface

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Hard to say, imo the shape of the bricks itself isn't really issue, afaik it's the same than many of our other bricks textures in other sets, like the Reach one.

If I'd have to pick, I'd eliminate all the ones from "Lightly worked stone" and further. They're closer to cobble and small bricks than the large bricks.
I like the rough texture of the 2 "boasted finish" ones, compared to the other "regular cut stones" which look far too polished compared to our usual textures.

I'll post some insp pics for the texture. But anyway, I think the main criteria is to make sure the texture of the "Arbor brick" works with the other arbor textures, which are completely fine.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hard to say, imo the shape of the bricks itself isn't really issue, afaik it's the same than many of our other bricks textures in other sets, like the Reach one.

That is because it's all the same base texture. They are all derivatives of the "Small Smooth Stone Brick", hence they all suffer from the same issue: Each "brick" has a rounded smooth shading, low contrast, and is rather large.

But I get that these are fine details.

I like the rough texture of the 2 "boasted finish" ones, compared to the other "regular cut stones" which look far too polished compared to our usual textures.
Yeah, good choice! This is what I was going for with them. I think if you were to pick some I'd rework the texture heavily making it much more grainy to match with our pack. They are prototypes to get the "size" and "feel" right and were meant as standalone blocks at the time.

However, no pressure, if you prefer to stick to what we have, I'm sure we can take a stab at that too.

Reactions: AerioOndos

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Yeah for a while now I've thought the Arbor Brick might look a little too shiny? pale? It's hard to put my finger on it
1611381039626.png
1611381050893.png
Compared to the other bricks, I've just noticed that it's missing the top most line of mortar, which might be influencing the impression it gives.
1611381081946.png
Perhaps the mortar could be just darkened a little bit more in general