Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Cactus of all varieties (aloe vera is not a true cactus) are new world plants, look into euphorbias which are similar enough and native to the Old World.
You're breaking my dreams. I guess yuccas are out of reach as well...
But you're right. Though, with greasy plants and euphorbias, I hope we could implement a few nice mediterranean plants.
Or maybe even aromatic plants, like sage and rosemary?

Reactions: ContraBlonde

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
You're breaking my dreams. I guess yuccas are out of reach as well...
But you're right. Though, with greasy plants and euphorbias, I hope we could implement a few nice mediterranean plants.
Or maybe even aromatic plants, like sage and rosemary?

The closest we have is this: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Prickly_ben

Which is found in the slavers bay region but has no description beyond the name, so it could be featured in flower pots and the like (since its non native and the mass export of plants for decorative gardens was more of a late renaissance thing) and could fit the description for prickly pear.

Aloe Vera is an old world plant and should be good to go, but look into how big aloe vera plants get and what their flowers look like as well

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Chamaerops humilis, "palmito", is an endemic plant of the Iberian Peninsula and North Africa, found in drier and coastal regions. "Esparto" is a must. Adapted to low rainfall, it is also used for cords, basketry, and shoemaking. It generated a huge industry and could be used as a excuse to add one more resource and exportation for Dorne and the Arbor. In fact Greeks, Romans and Phoenicians used esparto fibers to make boat ropes, as they belived it was the best material for them. Being the Arbor one of the biggest fleets in the Seven Kingdoms, undoubtedly they use it for their boats.
Murcia, Almeria and Alicante are the best places to look for dry vegetation inspo. In Almeria you can find the only desert in Spain, Desierto de Tabernas, and is full of endemic plants adapted to the harsh climate. Morocco and Islas Canarias could be used too. "Maquis" formations are very common around all the Mediterranean, specially where the original forest was degraded. Low bushes and plants flourish here.
1600632100481.png
1600632212617.png
1600632256434.png
PS: I linked some of the wiki articles in spanish as they have more information and images, and more links to the specific plants.

A little digression from the arid plant talk, but I was wondering if wildfire textures could be added in a future update? Like a special green safe fire to light the Alchemists Guild and some of the little green bottles (like our lava bucket item) and Aerys's fruit-shaped jars to be used in the lower caches (instead of the pewter and glass flagons). This could also let us make a Blackwater Bay mockup like the Destroyed Baelors or Ruby Ford.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Not really keen to add wood shingles, though I'd be fine pushing some of the slates in a more ambiguous direction (particularly the brown slate, if it doesn't negatively affect existing uses of it) - I know Dutch talked about revamping the textures and there were some tests in that direction anyways.

Also would be fine changing the color of red slate (provided it doesn't negatively affect existing uses of it), but it should still be different enough from the "Lannisport" slate (probably should just be renamed orange slate). The color of your house above seems pretty similar to the current color of the orange slate.

Wildfire - should definitely be easy to just add a green safe fire block. Could be fun for re-creating scenes in Test, though can't see it being used for anything in Production.

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Not really keen to add wood shingles, though I'd be fine pushing some of the slates in a more ambiguous direction (particularly the brown slate, if it doesn't negatively affect existing uses of it) - I know Dutch talked about revamping the textures and there were some tests in that direction anyways.

Its the only major roofing material we are missing, and one that was prevalent in Central & Eastern Europe, and I think it would go well in regions inspired by these parts that are still vastly outdated/incomplete such as Stormlands and Vale, furthermore regarding Stormlands, I find it hard to find a terrainset that mixes well with the original one, the current stormlands alt just pairs up with the grey sandstone.

Reactions: Enah and ItsPabs

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I do have a request, its a bit of a niche one.

Could we possible have a grass plant variant thats half the size of the one we currently have? Low-growing grass for areas where animals have grazed, people are walking in etc, make it similar in appearance to the grass and ferns we currently have (31:1 and 31:2) but like low growing to the ground

Thanks Emot. Yeah, it wouldnt be used much in Production, but it might be used in the Alchemist's Guild Hall. Canonically, they light the torches (we could stretch there to hearths or braziers) with Wildfire when Tyrion visits. That might be a nice touch to make the Guild that much more interesting.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Could we possible have a grass plant variant thats half the size of the one we currently have? Low-growing grass for areas where animals have grazed, people are walking in etc, make it similar in appearance to the grass and ferns we currently have (31:1 and 31:2) but like low growing to the ground

I had that thought a while ago and came up with a solution that doesn’t require adding a new block. We can add random short tufts of grass to the grass block itself. Boom.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I do have a request, its a bit of a niche one.

We already have that as part of the Better Foliage mod.
Go to the mod settings of Betterfoliage, then change the settings from this:
545ebdf6d8.png

To this:
6fe90a44bb.png

To make grassy fields go from this:
5b104ef16d.jpg

To this:
5a9a6d32ce.jpg

Enah

Skinchanger
Honestly, the wooden shingles is a good idea. Having large planks for roofing has never made sense. The only downside to adding them would be replacing what we have. But, it is what would've been done then, as well as now, and it's more practical than big planks of wood. also add more red brick varieties. and the fancy quatrefoil timbers :mad:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yeah, the short grass can be handled by BetterFoliage currently. Though we might want to still consider adding it to our grass block model so as to cut down our dependencies, the same way as we’ve done the extra leaves. Would it mess up anything? Thinking floors that are built over grass blocks, and stuff like that.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Just noticed that Reinforced Oak Fence and Nether Brick Fence don't connect. After testing with other, it seems the Nether brick fence acts the same way as terrainset fences (who don't connect to other 'building material' fences). Would it be possible to fix it?

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Yeah, the short grass can be handled by BetterFoliage currently. Though we might want to still consider adding it to our grass block model so as to cut down our dependencies, the same way as we’ve done the extra leaves. Would it mess up anything? Thinking floors that are built over grass blocks, and stuff like that.

That would be ideal as for some people some aspects of BetterFoliage are tough on performance.