Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I had the understanding that Veggie also wanted a pinkish-red block that can mix with the dun brick palette for Maidenpool (like some of the castle inspirations), and that the Reach-based palette was temporary. I'm fine with whichever direction as long as we can be consistent between the Riverrun/Red Fork substyle and the Maidenpool walls as per the background that we drafted up.

Veggie

The Old Bear
I think I was naive in thinking a transition could be made between the reach blocks and the red sandstone/dun, so reach --> new maidenpool blocks --> dun/red sandstone blocks.

Depending on whether Ark thinks there's a use for these blocks in Riverrun, this new block becomes a block which could be used in the unfinished Riverlands builds all along the Red Fork, such as Deddings, Atranta et al. (Potential Pinkmaiden recolour (god knows it needs it!))

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I don't think it's going to be feasible to blend both the reach palette and the dun/red sandstone in a single build; they're just so different in darkness/saturation that you'd need a large number of new blocks to transition between the two (it'd be like dark cobble -> light grey stone).

IMO it's best to aim for a darker pink, like in those pink castles we were looking at in the Inspiration channel (forgot the names), since that's also closer to the surrounding Riverlands/Crownlands palettes and less of a radical departure.

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
I agree with Stoop. I think a salmon pink which has a closer to red hue would be what I had in mind for Riverrun. It also mentions that Riverrun is made of sandstone, so a salmony-pink is probably about as far away as you could get in terms of hue and it still be classed as sandstone. As with Emot's message above, I think that the reach stone is an entirely different type of brick and its a bit of a stretch to get from that hue to the Dun brick texture, which is why an additional warmer pink sandstone was what I had in mind.

I'd post images, but I'm actually colourblind, so what I see as being a warm salmony pink may not actually be correct ;) - But the references already mentioned are pretty great. I especially love Château du Haut-Kœnigsbourg: In the setting sun it goes this gorgeous red colour - fits nicely with Stoop's point.
Pink sandstone2.png
thio-chateau-haut-koenigsbourg-jonathan-sarago-740x567.jpg

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Imma use this moment to advertise this set of fresh stone textures I made a while back:

screen-shot-2019-02-12-at-23-54-26-png.657

The cuts are:

Regulated cut stone - Stretcher Bond - Smooth Finish
Regulated cut stone - Stretcher Bond - Boasted Margin Finish
Regulated cut stone - Opus Pseudoisodoma
Regulated cut stone - Opus Pseudoisodoma - Quarry Faced Finish
Regulated cut stone - Opus Quadratus Greek previously Flemish Bond
Regulated cut stone - Opus Quadratus Greek previously Flemish Bond - Boasted Finish
Regulated cut stone - Stretcher Bond - Larger Blocks
Regulated cut stone - Stretcher Bond - Larger Blocks - Quarry Faced Finish
Lightly worked stone, but not finely cut
Uncut stone
Uncut stone without mortar

Cobble
Cobble Sparse

Large cut stones with a polished surface

The colours are:

Sandstone: tan
Sandstone: yellow
Sandstone: dun
Sandstone: red
Limestone: grey
Limestone: light grey
Limestone: tan/beige

Tuff: tan/yellow
Tuff: brown
Tuff: red
Basalt: dark grey
Basalt: black
Basalt: grey-brown

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Could we get some requests from Veggie and Arkilstorm for what they would like to see as the new pink sandstone blocks?
New textures or just new hues for existing blocks? If the latter, which blocks? Would you want to use them in a gradient with other existing blocks (i.e. red/dun sandstone, HG plaster) or as a stand-alone palette?

Reactions: ContraBlonde

ContraBlonde

Bookbinder
Great textures Tham! Another thing I noticed is that the pink blocks you made that look like vanilla polished granite could also be used as the pink tiles in the Water Gardens.
Just something I wanted to share :)

Reactions: Alec_Sander

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I think we'll be okay. It's not like the new colours are subtle, they're going to stick out like a sore thumb if anyone tries using some crazy colours in an area where the colours aren't part of the project palette. Gradient colours, because they are much more similar in tone, are harder to police because they escape attention more easily, and because a singular intent isn't necessarily built in to the block texture.

Last edited:
Reactions: SseriousBusiness