Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
We rarely use blue tiles so I think we could possibly mute the color a bit, but not by too much as I have observed a few instances of blue slate used to depict coat of arms (basically a simplified sigil in shield form on castle walls/ints) because its one of the few blue blocks that have stairs/slab.

With black slate I would only point out that we use it in southern projects as well, but I don't see why these populations can't source slate tiles and import them in (Rhysling for example has slate quarries in progress)

Green slate however I would heavily urge not to change the color of. Its used extensively in The Reach especially Highgarden where they're used to depict glazed roofing tiles.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Yeah I agree Marg, it's really just a colour change for blue I was suggesting, but I can see how that would mess up the examples you mentioned.
Largely I'm requesting a texture change, not a colour change. If that messes up green too much, then I amend my request for a change to only black and blue. I had no idea the green was being used to depict green glazed clay tiles, and while I question the logistics of that, I see how the current texture reflects that fairly well (though it could be a little shinier and a little less mossy).

I would also request that we change the names of those blocks to what they are most commonly used for. Clay tiles should be called clay tiles, slates should be called slates, etc. Calling everything slates is misleading at worst, confusing at least.

EDIT: With the affix roof or tiles, so they all pop up in search results, as Marg suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elduwin

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Mentioned this in another thread but I’m thinking of changing blue slate to something more gray-ish to make it useable in Gulltown and hopefully won’t mess up the few existing uses of it like the Eyrie).

If someone makes better textures for the slate and it doesn’t break any existing uses of the blocks, I’m fine changing them. Don’t think it’s a priority though.

ContraBlonde

Bookbinder
With all this talk about slate I think it would be a great time to add orange slate- which would make Mediterranean areas like the arbor, Oldtown and Lannisport much cooler and more accurate looking. F2496461-B6D4-43D3-8E91-B43724B683F7.jpeg

Attachments

• 8FC07B79-5FFA-437A-AD48-38E71ED715C8.jpeg
    8FC07B79-5FFA-437A-AD48-38E71ED715C8.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Zso and Elduwin

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
DutchGuard

I got you buddy:
screen-shot-2019-02-12-at-23-58-30-png.659

Each column is a different cut from left to right:
Base: Altdeutsch, Deutsch, Rechteck-Doppeldeckung, Rechteck-Doppeldeckung Gezogen, Wild, Rouen Acorn, Rouen Pinion, Spitzwinkel, Fischschuppe
Ornamental: Cross, Cross Andreas, Caret 90, Caret 180, Caret 270, Caret, Diamond

Last edited:
DutchGuard

I got you buddy:
screen-shot-2019-02-12-at-23-58-30-png.659

Each column is a different cut from left to right:
Base: Altdeutsch, Deutsch, Rechteck-Doppeldeckung, Rechteck-Doppeldeckung Gezogen, Wild, Rouen Acorn, Rouen Pinion, Spitzwinkel, Fischschuppe
Ornamental: Cross, Cross Andreas, Caret 90, Caret 180, Caret 270, Caret, Diamond
Imo the colours are too muted, I do agree we shouldn’t have neon roofs but those have a sepia like effect, the saturation is too low.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
EStoop some updates on the daub & wattle requests.

The following ones are tentatively done:

Now, the ones that I want feedback on:

• Northern wood > mud red daub
    • I have two variants that I'm unsure about: [Version 1 / Version 2]. I lean towards Version 2, since it matches the color of red clay in temperate biomes, but Version 1 is a bit muddier.
  • Northern wood > arryn blue
    • Currently matches the color of the Arryn banner.
  • Northern wood > green
    • I've been thinking of another Gulltown variant which is a pale green (less dark/saturated than the HG green plaster and closer to blue). So far I've tried two colors, but I'm not sure about either of them: [Version 1 / Version 2]
  • Whitewashed
    • Timber currently matches color of white wood planks. Infill is unchanged from standard white daub & wattle.

Would appreciate some thoughts before moving on.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey Emote, It might be best to make a test implementation to chuck these into the game, or supply in game screenshots. I always find it hard to judge textures without context like this. Especially when the 'design' of the texture is known i.e. what it depicts but it is rather the context i.e. hitting the exact color/tone is whats needed.

Edit: Or you supply pngs with relating tiles around it so you can see the block in its expected context?

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Emote, It might be best to make a test implementation to chuck these into the game, or supply in game screenshots. I always find it hard to judge textures without context like this. Especially when the 'design' of the texture is known i.e. what it depicts but it is rather the context i.e. hitting the exact color/tone is whats needed.

Edit: Or you supply pngs with relating tiles around it so you can see the block in its expected context?

I've always found blocks look way darker in game vs the .pngs.
1598423009312.png

Even on Brightness Bright it's like I'm wearing sunglasses or something
1598422963029.png

Attachments

• 1598422876954.png
    1598422876954.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: DutchGuard

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I've always found blocks look way darker in game vs the .pngs.
View attachment 4617

Even on Brightness Bright it's like I'm wearing sunglasses or something
View attachment 4616
Hmmmmmmmmmm .... I have a feeling that what your'e seeing there is the effect of a colour biome overlay :S

I was aware of a subtle color difference but it has never been that drastic for me unless I deal with a tile affected by overlay in a certain biome.:oops:

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
EStoop some updates on the daub & wattle requests.

Now, the ones that I want feedback on:
    • I have two variants that I'm unsure about: [Version 1 / Version 2]. I lean towards Version 2, since it matches the color of red clay in temperate biomes, but Version 1 is a bit muddier.
    • Currently matches the color of the Arryn banner.
  • Northern wood > green
    • I've been thinking of another Gulltown variant which is a pale green (less dark/saturated than the HG green plaster and closer to blue). So far I've tried two colors, but I'm not sure about either of them: [Version 1 / Version 2]
  • Whitewashed
    • Timber currently matches color of white wood planks. Infill is unchanged from standard white daub & wattle.
Would appreciate some thoughts before moving on.
    • Version 2.
    • Looks great.
  • Northern wood > green
    • Version 2 seems to mix better with our existing green blocks.
  • Whitewashed
    • Looks alright to me, though you could maybe test a variation using the new-ish grey wood to see which one looks better.

I love all the new blocks and agree with stoop’s choices of the versions. Maybe the whitewashed one should look more like wood and daub with a transparent white layer of whitewash. Right now it looks a bit like white colored wood and white painted daub, instead of a whole layer of paint on top of both like Dutch showed with the images. It looks good eitherway!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
@Tham: generally I agree, but it takes a lot of effort to make in-game tests for every variant, including putting the WIP textures into the resource pack. I didn’t really have an hour to spare.

@Stoop: thanks! Regarding the green one, what existing green blocks do you mean? I’d probably introduce another plaster to go along with it (like I will for the arryn blue one), so it’s not an issue if it doesn’t fit with the HG green plaster.

@Sseri: I can try making the infill one of our white plasters instead, given that those are often used to represent whitewash.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
generally I agree, but it takes a lot of effort to make in-game tests for every variant, including putting the WIP textures into the resource pack. I didn’t really have an hour to spare.
I know exactly what you mean. Hmm I wonder if Red can do something here.. It would be neat to have mod that allows us to create templating entities or so that we could chuck new textures on. You know, ad hoc "blocks" for the sole purpose of trying textures ideally without having to reset the texture pack!

Reactions: CashBanks

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Boy do I know the pain of editing resource packs to test textures in game, would love any kind of alternative to replacing granite/andesite etc

I've been trying out some pale pink stone for Maidenpool to mix in with the Reach set.
1598484886761.png
Had initially tried a more saturated pink for something that could mix with Dun bricks for Riverrun but I think it be contrasting too much with the other palettes.
1598485042771.png