Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Biome's to me seem like the last resource that we haven't fully tapped into.

Hey hey :D The biome colormaps you pulled up are the result of years of careful tweaking not exactly a new frontier at least for Emote and I.

They are a powerful resource but developing them is tedious since fine grained changes can mess up a region big time, and, because you don’t see changes instantaneously.
Blocks like grass, leaves, stone and sand become fluid in color while many of the construction blocks remain static which can lead to odd and ugly clashes that are difficult to anticipate :/

Also, like many CTM tricks they force a User choice which seems to generally not be what we want or expect from our blocks.

Big plus, they do allow smooth 5 block transitions.

So, there’s that :D

Reactions: Emoticone11

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
And you’ve both done a wonderful job ;) Desert and Mega Taiga and maaaybe Mushroom Island are the only ones I’d consider adjusting

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
What are your plans for mushroom island? If I remember correctly you made a test of mushroom that had a much darker, dryer looking mushroom island that, while it would work at Trant, would severely change the southern reach, Torrentine valley and Wyl
I wouldn't touch the current mushroom island. it works for the red mountains terra. Its green yet bright.
Mesa is currently used in a whitegrove hamlet to illustrate dried/dead grass and I was going to use it in Marches tests. I have suggested it in the past to you for Summerhall instead of Extremehills, which would remove the steamy breath issue.

I am all for finding a use for Extreme Taiga. We have very little biome variation in the north currently and it would be good to see a forest version of extreme hills (with moss in the dirt mix and other similar details)

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I tried my hand at this today:
Coal:
9089772c8c.jpg

Based on:
coal_vein088.JPG

Galena, primary components are lead and sulphur but it is a commercial source of silver (made up of around 2% silver):
7567b2970b.jpg

Based on the gray stuff:
il_fullxfull.885736610_8yvn.jpg

Cassiterite the primary source of Tin!
5aea6eb112.jpg
based on this image, which contains a discrete quartz vein (lode-type; up to 1.5 m thick) in granite with wolframite, sulphides, cassiterite, and flourite:
image.jpg

Gold from Electrum:
23645c3e54.jpg
Based on this fine specimen of Electrum. Electrum you ask? ( Electrum (AuAg) is an alloy (mix) of elemental gold and silver with >20% Ag. Most “gold” mineral specimens have some silver mixed in as well. Electrum has a metallic luster; ranges in color from silvery to golden yellow, depending on the silver content; has a high specific gravity (it's heavy for its size); has no cleavage; and is malleable. ):
1024px-Electrum_%28Washington_State%2C_USA%29_3_%2817108859679%29.jpg

Iron from Hematite:
576a65d37d.jpg

based on:
Site_of_Auchenlongford_hematite_mine_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1215634.jpg

And finally, Copper from Malachite:
a024f2f31d.jpg
based on:

AzuriteMalCry002a_enl.jpg

I haven't done any further testing, and these are just my first drafts. Please give mose feedback!

Download them here plox!

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm gonna quote Emote here to keep a tally of the work:

1. Short-term

- Add stair, slab, wall, and fence blocks for each of the 11 primary terrainsets.
- Rename terrainsets? They're not really "sets" anymore for one, and their use isn't restricted completely to their named regions (though they will still form the predominant stone type in those regions, so maybe those are worth keeping in the names). I'm wondering if it's worth corresponding them to real rock types, e.g. "Westerlands Karst" or "Northern Granite" or something.
- Fix the high contrast & internal color variation and the strong border effect of the river terrainset by giving the entire limestone set a makeover, and that particular subset a total redo.
- Redo the hues and strata for all sandstone subsets.

2. Middle-term

- Add 11 secondary rock variants to be used as accents in terraforming (although specific number may be a bit flexible). I currently do not plan to add stairs/slabs/etc. variants or pebbles for these given their secondary status.
- Add a smooth blending overlay between all terrainsets, their variants, and the corresponding pebble blocks which will essentially give you 4 terrainset blocks per set (current, variant, wet and dry pebbles)
- Remove all moss from the Iron and Eastern Islands sets and instead introduce a new biome shaded Cushion Moss block that overlays over any terrainset.
- Remake all ore blocks with textures that can work with ANY terrainset.

3. Long-term

- Add subtle streaks or discoloration patterns on a large scale with overlay_repeat (similar to the Eyrie example above), in order to retroactively improve the parts of the maps which aren't manually updated.
- Experiment with vertical overlay CTM for limestone blocks.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Will the overlays be put into the standard production server?

Because I see potential for making CToF murals and First Men cave painting stuff

Yes, the stone overlays will be made official once everything is set in stone (yikes), although still remaining as a separate pack, since Tham mentioned some issues with load order when integrating them into the main pack.

I think the dirt overlays still need some time for everybody to use them unofficially before they get integrated, so we can gradually replace any accidental sand-dirt transitions under slabs that people come across. I do suggest that everybody use the overlay pack for that specific purpose, though.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
So I've implemented a set of speleothem now.
A stalacmite/Flowstone texture is on podzol and netherbrick wall.
A stalactite texture is on the cobweb, dark cobblestone full, fence and wall.

efee90032b.jpg

Extract the attached zip and drag/ drop the folders into

AppData\Roaming\.westeroscraft\instances\WesterosCraft-1.11.2\resourcepacks\ThamCraft\assets\minecraft\mcpatcher\ctm

Once you've done that /warp overlaytest and fly straight on past the wall of terrainset mixes to a copy of the mistwood caves where I've done a lazy replace of some of the wall/fence blocks for testing

Attachments

• speleothem.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 3

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Looking nice Tham! I really like the flowstone texture. I'm not entirely sure about the stalactite texture though, it looks a bit too bark-like to me.

I'm also thinking that it may not be necessarily to have a full set of blocks for both stalactites and stalagmites, particularly since these are relatively low-use cases and the ID/memory space for one would probably be better dedicated to another rock variant. I'm thinking we should just have a single speleothem texture based on your current flowstone. People can either use this for stalactites (as it seems you do in a couple spots in the image), or use the reach/motm terrainsets for stalactites given that they have a fairly smooth-looking texture already.

Also, regarding the checklist: are the "11 secondary rock variants to be used as accents in terraforming" that you scratched off referring to the old versions of the terrainsets which you kept as alts?

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm not entirely sure about the stalactite texture though, it looks a bit too bark-like to me.
Yeah, I gotta say, smooth rock and smooth bark do look very similar even IRL. I'm using the underlying reach terrainset texture without cuts/weathering for the stalactites and they are particularily smooth in all the reference images I've seen. However, I could probably add smooth buldges or some more depth. But I think I won't get something as distinct as the flowstone.

I'm also thinking that it may not be necessarily to have a full set of blocks for both stalactites and stalagmites, particularly since these are relatively low-use cases and the ID/memory space for one would probably be better dedicated to another rock variant. I'm thinking we should just have a single speleothem texture based on your current flowstone. People can either use this for stalactites (as it seems you do in a couple spots in the image), or use the reach/motm terrainsets for stalactites given that they have a fairly smooth-looking texture already.
Yeah, I don't disagree. Although, I do want to add that it won't be very realistic to use the stalacmite/ flowstone block as stalactites. Stalactites form a seemingly much smoother rock than stalacmites. At least as far as I can tell from the reference images I looked at, I'm not an expert though. I think a good compromise would be to scratch the stalactite full, fence and wall blocks but keep the cobweb block!

Edit: Some more speleothem info:

Stalagmites are the "ground-up" counterparts of stalactites, often blunt mounds
  • Broomstick stalagmites are very tall and spindly
  • Totem pole stalagmites are also tall and shaped like their namesakes
  • Fried egg stalagmites are small, typically wider than they are tall

So caves that have stalagmites that are a wall with a fence on top are not very accurate.

I took the pic half-way through my replacement process, so any existing use of flowstone as 'stalactites' is an oversight on my part. The reach/motm sets may work well with the alt textures, but the new textures are much too coarse imo.

Also, regarding the checklist: are the "11 secondary rock variants to be used as accents in terraforming" that you scratched off referring to the old versions of the terrainsets which you kept as alts?

Yeah, I scratched that for now, since we agreed to wait for feedback to only implement whatever is still necessary. From my own testing it didn't seem like it was. The alt sets really tie the pink/tan/buff terrainsets (reach, wl, dorne, rm) together and the four existing variants of metamorphic rock (north, ironislands, eastern islands, eyrie) already work as alt sets within each other. With the colour change and dedicated alt I've added for the stormlands set, this now works both with the biome shaded eastern islands set, the regular iron islands set AND with the red mountains sets. In addition, some of the ores, specifically the iron ore might work like a charm to create banding in the red mountains set, while the silver and gold ores should go really well with the westerlands and possibly reach sets. Coal works well with Iron islands, north, lava and possibly the stormlands set. And, albeit some of them are visually distinct (I'm looking at you, copper ore), generally all of them overlay nicely with all terrainsets.

But, again, that's my opinion so please test and see for yourself!

My focus now is fixing the bugs with the mis-shaded overlay effect, adding overlay to pebbles top onto terrainsets and responding to feedback that comes in from you guys.

Last edited: