Completed Project Application - House Rousemont

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Also i would say it's cool that you want to reserve the plots for probies, as long as you are ready to be patient with them and give constructive feedback.

Reactions: Thamus_Knoward

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
You seem to have forgotten a chimney or smoke outlet on your house test with the fire in the middle.
I like your other tests though
There is a chimney, but its not your regular chimney. More like the hearth type where you had fire in the center of the house and a smoke outlet in the roof (this is taken from the link to the early hall houses). There are two thatched holes supported by wood in the roof of the lower class houses to allow for smoke escape.

1589583021689.png1589583098825.png1589583183189.png

I prolly should have added these screenshots in previously to clarify where the smoke exited.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey Iron, thanks for applying, and thanks for making it a noble cause (opening it up for probies primarily!)

Heed @Luk_emAn's words on this: "as long as you are ready to be patient with them and give constructive feedback."

I like your plans and models so far, with the exception of:
- The gravel around the fire. I think I prefer just ash (mycelium) in general
- I dig that there is no chimney (in some houses) but the thatched holes could be a little more prominent (see the example Hall house in the Rousemont hamlet) OR not at all. I've been to a museum once where they explained that for some thatched houses and in the earlier periods they'd just let the smoke seep out through the roof.
- While I generally appreciate MC renditions of heavy medieval industry, for this small quarry I think the pile-driver is a bit much. In most cases, and with a skilled stonemason/ quarryman it wouldn't be needed: https://youtu.be/ydoRAbpWfCU?list=PL72jhKwankOiwI5zt6lC3eQtsQDxOaN_g&t=394
- Not a fan of the burned down houses. Instead, I'd suggest converting the plans you had for destroyed houses to construction sites for new houses.
- I dig the log cabin, but the watchtower is a bit too much imo, at least in that position deep in the woods. I'll think about placing it somewhere else and giving you dibs on that new placement!

With these stipulations, I'm approving your plans!

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey folks,

small update from my side. I'm still working on this!

Still to do:
- [X] Transition from Pine forest to cleared meadow north of Bitter Bridge castle
- [X] River banks north of Bitter Bridge castle
- [X] River shape and flow all the way through Bitterbridge town down to Longtable port to link up with the terraforming that Kulmen is working on.
- [X] River shape and flow all the way from the Bridges warp to Grassyvale
- [ ] Fix some artifacts leftover from the forest scripts (holes in the ground, buried blocks of white wool, 44 and wood planks.
- [ ] Review and fix some sections of the forest, specifically the wetland area North-West of //warp gvhf2.
- [ ] Plot fields at /warp frithcester
- [ ] Plot the Brigand hide out
- [ ] Plot the Quarry hamlet
- [ ] Clear the area and plot the 4 Charcoalmaker camps

- [ ] Rethink the Rousemont style with a bit more research into the northern reach
- [ ] Plot the Summer meadows
- [X] Replace the excessive pebble banks of the branch that passes Rousemont in the north with sand and mud to maintain canon and consistency.
- [X] Optionally, give Rousemont keep a facelift?
- [X] Find a nicer solution for the very small streams in the meadows just south of Rousemont keep, around the Rousmont hamlet.
- [X] Finish the Mill compound
- [ ] Clean up the underbrush of all Larch and Pine groves in the Rousemont wetlands.
- [X] Finish the outhouse by the Rousemont keep
- [X] Finish the barn near the lavender fields.
- [ ] Add details more details
- [X] Open the plotted locations.

Reminder to the community that minis are OPEN!

IronGentleGiant looks like /warp romoquarry and /warp romohamlet are almost done right? Looking swell so far!
When you think you're close to being all done, please record the names of all participants and post them here!

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Dear probies,

come take up a mini. I'm opening all of them for builders at any stage in the process. The main requirement I have is that communication happens on the forums! Make an application and keep me updated on the progress for feedback.

(I'm trying to be more active on Discord but the Forum is the safest bet)

In any case, apply apply apply! Don't be afraid!

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
Alright, I think the romoquarry and romohamlet are pretty much all the way done, except for some problems with foliage around the borders of the hamlet, which I am sure Thamus can help with.

Big thanks to all who helped build these mini projects and they are Mayflumes (2 houses), He_who_is_Red (1 Oxen Barn & Abandoned Log Cabin), Scubooty (1 house), Juggie (1 house) , VoxerBr (2 houses), GevSant (1 house), Rexstop (1 house & Communal Storage Shed), TheGoatLord (1house), Vickon_Greyjoy (1 house), and Contracontradict (1 House).

Especially big thanks to Mayflumes for helping with foliage and pebble detailing at the quarry and hamlet.

bafflement

Messenger
Talked to Tham in game, I am currently working on romosummer1 :D

"However, the construction of herdsmen's huts in a form distinctive from the normal dwelling houses of farms, only appears from the early medieval period onwards (from AD 450), when the practice of transhumance is also known from documentary sources and, notably, place-name studies. Their construction appears to cease at the end of the 16th century. Shielings vary in size but are commonly small and may occur singly or in groups. They have a simple sub- rectangular or ovoid plan normally defined by drystone walling, although occasional turf-built structures are known, and the huts are sometimes surrounded by a ditch. Most examples have a single undivided interior but two roomed examples are known. Some examples have adjacent ancillary structures, such as pens, and may be associated with a midden. Some are also contained within a small ovoid enclosure."

From: https://ancientmonuments.uk/114614-...with-little-hare-grain-bewcastle#.X0KDGRlMGV4

So I am going with 3 shielings, (2 currently occupied 1 not) 2 small pens, a partial fence near the pasture - keeping it all simple.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
ss+(2020-08-23+at+08.21.55).jpg
Progress update:
The project as it was in its original bounds is now very close to completion. Every structure has been completed or is in progress and only minor detailing is left for me to do. In fact, that's true for everything marked in green above. The places in pink are still available. I should have something for every taste here :D

Project planners/ Leaders:
- Warp Frithcester = Quaint farming hamlet, maybe they are known for something? It's up to you!
- Warp Buckley = I initially plotted a fortified manor there but come to think of it now, maybe this should just be a hamlet. Perhaps already in the sprawl of Tumbleton? Fields could be kept easily. Only the plotting of the main structure needs to be adjusted.
- Warp Romobrigands and warp romotowerruin: Brigands from the past wars that have hidden in the forest and now live there cut off/ hidden from society. The towerhouse was ruined completely (similar state to /warp romokeepruin) but is now occupied by the brigand parallel society as a watchtower to secure their lands. The brigand camp is a wood/ log hut settlement protected by a palisade. Other than that, they need all the basics: They do some farming, hunting and gathering and produce most of their own stuff. They secretly trade with the charcoal burners who also supply them with iron and steel.

Probies:
- Warp romowitch2
- Warp romospiral
- Warp romolumber
- Warp romocharcoal1
- Warp romocharcoal2
- Warp romocharcoal4
- Warp romohunters and Warp romohunters 2
- Warp romohedgeknight

Are all up for grabs and probie-friendly! Come grab one!

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Tham, I've currently drawn the south border like this:

1598211320202.png

I do not think it would be a problem if you left Frithcester and the empty areas around Romospiral to a future Bridges update. Up to you though. The borders are just a reflection of a projects' scope. If House Bridges is a vassal to Rousemont and included as part of the Rousemont project that would also be fine. Romoquarry, Romocharcoal3, and Romosummer3 all connect more directly to Bridges lands than the Rousemont lands.

Also a friendly reminder that the Roseroad needs to connect through the eastern wood somehow, I've currently drawn it south of Buckley. Preferably it crosses further south, but anywhere really so long as it stays well clear of Tumbleton.

1598211475698.png

On the note of Buckley, have a word with Luk_emAn. The current warp looks like it was placed in an old Tumbleton hamlet.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I do not think it would be a problem if you left Frithcester and the empty areas around Romospiral to a future Bridges update.

If my approving mods are OK with that, I'd love to do that. I don't think I have the steam to pull through those two by myself anyways, so not having to do them is a huge burden off my shoulders.

On the other hand, it rubs me how it looks unfinished :S

Last edited:
Chatted a bit with Tham in game and am in the process of working on romocharcoal3. Inspirations for this are coming from the general build styles of Romo and the Reach, other charcoal burns on the server and online resources about medieval charcoal burns as well as personal knowledge from reading about them in historical fiction novels. Currently have it plotted and I would estimate 1/3 done. Hopefully will check up to see how it integrates with the very nearby pastures.

Hey Tham, sorry to bump this so quickly, but after reading it in your update and discussing it ingame with Baff, who built the neighboring pasture, I think we agreed that romocharcoal3 and romosummer3 should be connected more to Bridges since thats how the forest clearings kind of flow anyway. Also, romocharcoal4 is closer to the road near the hamlet and quarry and that might service the smithy there better. It also was noted by us that the smithy by the quarry does not have any charcoal, but appears to have lumber by it instead (?).

On a side note, might step away for a few days-week as uni starts back up. I only have a couple more things to do to finish up this first mini and am willing to continue the style at the other charcoal sites you have planned. Again, thanks for your WE help.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I think we agreed that romocharcoal3 and romosummer3 should be connected more to Bridges since thats how the forest clearings kind of flow anyway.
Would that connection to Bridges change anything for how you or Baffle do the minis though? I've connected your mini to the Bridges main lands via two ruts in the grass. So there's a track indicating that they are in fact connected. Would I need to do more than that?

Also, romocharcoal4 is closer to the road near the hamlet and quarry and that might service the smithy there better. It also was noted by us that the smithy by the quarry does not have any charcoal, but appears to have lumber by it instead (?)
Cheers for pointing that out! I'll fix that next time I'm on!

On a side note, might step away for a few days-week as uni starts back up. I only have a couple more things to do to finish up this first mini and am willing to continue the style at the other charcoal sites you have planned.
No worries! Looking forward to seeing the finished romocharcoal3 first, but I'm gonna hold off the other charcoal burners in favour of using one consistent style between them :)

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
If my approving mods are OK with that, I'd love to do that. I don't think I have the steam to pull through those two by myself anyways, so not having to do them is a huge burden off my shoulders.

On the other hand, it rubs me how it looks unfinished :S
That bit of lands (around Frithcester) could become a very nice immersion projects (to avoid waiting a redo of Bridges and to remove it from your plate).

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
That bit of lands (around Frithcester) could become a very nice immersion projects (to avoid waiting a redo of Bridges and to remove it from your plate).

I agree with Eld. I don't see a reason that you need to take on this bit of land, esp. since it wasn't part of your original plans. I think it would work nicely for either an immersion project or part of a redo/update of the Bridges lands.