Completed Project Application: Duskendale

Ben

Poet
Ser Dontos Hollard is the sole surviving member of House Hollard and was taken to King's Landing as a child and never returned to Duskendale. So if you plan to have Hollard rooms in the castle, they should be abandoned, as the rest of the house was exterminated a little over 20 years before the year our server is set in.

Veggie

The Old Bear
Update!

The exteriors of the Dunfort are done, and the project as a whole is now nearing its initial completion phase! Thanks to Dragons for all their help with it.

The manses of the minor houses named in the canon have now been snapped up, a special shoutout to Ammika for her work on Darke and Leek, as well as Adorkabley for their assistance with the Darke keep. Thanks to Codd for his work on the Rykker's holdfast prior to their ascension to the Lordship of Duskendale. Thanks to Benpwen for his work on the Darkwood keep.

There are some cool buildings that are available in the last part of Duskendale. These include a large inn, a brothel, and a manse of the Dargoods. Have a look in game for everything available.

Calling for help on the Dunfort's interiors! -- Especially applying gradients to buildings.

There are a number of outbuildings in the yards surrounding the main keep which have yellow glass blocks marking them as available for people to do. Some highlights are the structure in the entrance yard, the knight's halls kitchens, and the broken tower.

Be sure to give me or Dragons a nudge if it's okay for you to build these-- I'm likely to say yes but just want to hear your thoughts.

Have an idea for a cool room in the Dunfort you think I should consider? Then let me know. Test on your plot and I'd be happy to see if it can fit.

The Dunfort will be austere, and forboding inside. The rooms will be comfortable and grand, but not ornate and delicate. Think barrell vaulted rooms which are dark and gloomy, save for a tiny bit of light from a few arrow slits.

Last edited:

Veggie

The Old Bear
New plots! Can be found at the usual warps!

Ammika knows what she's doing with these rowhouses, so don't be restitant to her feedback!

If you'd like to furnish a room at the Dunfort, then let me know! I'm still open to lots of ideas for each room!

Rakdar

Bard
I love how the crypts are absolutely massive and maze-like and that they can end up anywhere. Very nice touch and very unique, it feels appropriate. From the sprawling and catacomb-ish structure I take it that the ossuary idea is being considered?

As for suggested rooms for the interiors, I haven't seen a library yet. That sounds like something the urban and rich Darklyns would have had. Perhaps the empty room near to the lordly quarters could be used? There doesn't seem to be a specific designation yet, other than generic guard quarters.

EDIT: Something that has caught my attention is that there is no simple way of accessing the Great Hall from the main noble areas of the castle, from what I can see. Is it WAD or am I missing something?

EDIT2: I’m retarded and missed the very obvious door.

Last edited:

Veggie

The Old Bear
The Dun Fort is (largely) done!

Many thanks to @Xeson for picking up the slack when I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and Dragons for doing the palette and generally being excellent.

Feel free to walk around and bringing anything strange to my attention, preferrably via in game mail.

If you'd like to take ownership of a chunk of sprawl then do get in touch,

V

Veggie

The Old Bear
For anyone who has been considering doing an immersion build, but wants some more guidance/oversight then you might be interest in taking ownership of some of Duskendale sprawl!

There are a number of areas!

• Rykker -- This is a blank canvas for anyone to take ownership of. Codd has built a lovely holdfast here, which is now in need of equally lovely lands. The environs to the north of DD are canonically forested, and rife with banditry and ne'erdowells so this could be a great opportunity for someone to hide things away in the forests.

The person who applies for Rykker should be comfortable using the Schem brush to the point of creating forests. Codd had laid down some foundational ideas for the surrounding lands, which would be best kept to, but if you have alternative ideas I'd be open to looking at them.

• North East Gate -- The NE gate leads to the lands of the now extinct House Hollard. This is a tricky little area as there's a dramatic biome change here. I'd be eager to hear peoples ideas, mine would be to use dense forests to ease the transition.

I'd be looking for half a dozen or so houses in this sprawl-- it's pressed up against the canon cliffs and is quite a small area so would be a good project for someone to take on who wants something small.

• North Gate -- I've laid out a little enclosure around the gate, built around @Zsomiking 's stables here. If you want to just apply to finish this building complex then that'd be fine-- if you want to do more and build the sprawl here too then that'll be fine too. I view this building complex as a 'port of entry' where travellers from the north can stable their horses/store their carriages etc.

• Lichgate (West) -- This is the area near the stilted bridge at the back of the hospital/rivergate. I've laid out some plots but am open to new ideas.

I'd be grateful for people who want to dig around in the town and melon anything that looks out of place, over the next few months we will need to quality control what has been built.

Veggie

The Old Bear
Update!

I'm working with a few builders who have expressed interest on quality controlling Duskendale. We're particularly focusing on the side of the river we built first.

In summary, the situation is that we appeared to have some kind of refresh/improvement in building style between when the first side was built, to the second side of the town. This has lead to the unfortunate situation where the south side of the river looks less cohesive and attractive than the north side.

This has meant that we're making some not insignificant changes with removing some buildings, in both an effort to take away some of the density of some areas of the town, and just remove some plots which aren't up to scratch any more. It has also allowed us the opportunity to make the streets feel more 'lived in' which you can see examples of near the north gate.

This post is essentially just a message to say don't be disheartened if a plot you built has been removed to make way for something else. Please do not direct any frustration towards the builders assisting me, any irritation can come straight to me.

I'm sure you'll agree in the long term this will be for the better, you can see the great work Endy has been doing in improving sections of the town, and that Luk and Xeson have been doing in the surrounding lands.

Let me know if you'd like to contribute to these efforts.

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
This post is essentially just a message to say don't be disheartened if a plot you built has been removed to make way for something else. Please do not direct any frustration towards the builders assisting me, any irritation can come straight to me.

My only suggestion would be if it's not too late, to make a selection and paste it in the air above for a couple of weeks, just incase someone wants to save their own build. I know when part of Stoney Sept was completely redone I was a bit pissed that one of my inns was removed - not because of that reason, but because I was quite proud of it and would have liked to have found a home for it elsewhere.

We did a similar thing with HG town when we re-plot it. It gives people a chance to save their stuff. Just a thought! :)

Veggie

The Old Bear
Update!

This is less an update, and more of a post thanking some people. I think we sometimes don't do it enough, so this is a post doing that!

Duskendale moved so swiftly at first, which was great. My enthusiasm was at 100%, and together we built a huge swathe of the city in a matter of months. As with all big projects, enthusiasm wanes, and I really felt like I was being stifled by the project.

Firstly I need to thank Luk and Xeson, whilst I had a short break from the project, they valiantly picked up the sprawl and kept momentum going in my stead. Seeing the north side of the sprawl (something I had pained over, as my inspiration for it was sorely lacking) come together over the last few weeks has been incredible, and I am so grateful to them both for coordinating this.

My next shout out goes to Endy, who has been working tirelessly to beautify (in an appropriately grungy Duskendale style!) many areas of the town. As with any project that moves so quickly, issues with plotting and plots themselves can get overlooked-- I was very conscious that some of the initial houses built weren't up to snuff compared to the newer houses. Endy has fixed that, and I am grateful for him, and everyone who has been helping him do so.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed recently, the end is in sight!

I still invite anyone to help combing through Duskendale for anything I might have missed, be sure to build a nice tall melon column explaining what's wrong.

Love,

Veggie

Veggie

The Old Bear

It is done.

After just over a year, the town of Duskendale is complete.

There are a few plots in the slums yet to be finished, but otherwise we're 99.9% of the way there.

There are too many people to thank, including everyone who in any way contributed to the project.
A special shoutout to Ammika, Xeson, Luk, Dragons, Endy, Alex, Nuggs, Jake, and Kulmen.

giphy.gif