Approved Central Westerlands megabuild (Tarbeck Hall, Sarsfield, Oxcross, Hornvale) by lemonbear

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Terra of the northern side of the river is mostly done, so I'm opening some more minis for applications!

Updated list of things available for apps:

/warp thhamlet3 - Abandoned/ruined mining hamlet that was destroyed 40 years ago during the Tarbeck/Reyne rebellion. There are overgrown or closed mines in the mountains behind it and two abandoned quarries nearby. One of the quarries (location indicated in-game) is flooded.

Sarsfield castle (near /warp sarsfield) - The original inspiration for the castle is San Marino. I love San Marino, so it'd be great if you keep that inspiration, but I'd be happy if you just keep it to the same mountain range indicated in the app.

/warp sffarm1 - A farm complex that does general agriculture.

/warp sfquarry - The quarry from the original Sarsfield project. The quarry/mines themselves need serious updates, and auxiliary buildings (including storage, a smelter, and anything else) need to be added.

/warp sfseptry - Another septry built by the Tarbecks during their prime. This one is in much better repair than the septry on the border with Drox because Sarsfield aided the Lannisters against the revolt. Primarily houses septons, but there are a few septas. The septry has a large garden with medicinal herbs and functions as a hospital.

/warp sfseptry2 - A smaller septry built by the Tarbecks. It owns farmland, and the septons living there carve statues of the Seven to sell to other septs and the devout. You can decide what they grow, but it has to be region appropriate (i.e., no olives or citrus). There should be some houses nearby for workers to tend to the farmland.

/warp sflandedknight - The tower house of a landed knight. The tower house should include a curtain wall and outbuildings.

/warp sfhamlet1 - A small herding hamlet. They don't have much money, but they live off the land with their goats and sheep.

/warp sflogging - A logging camp with accompanying lumber mill. The camp is located right at the edge of a pretty big forest, and they sell wood and logs in the nearby communities and to the septry.

/warp thruin2 - An abandoned Tarbeck holdfast in the forest. It has been reclaimed by nature.

Building is also *~open~* at /warp sfvillage, sfquarry, and thhf1. The style is the same as at /warp thtown. If no profession is specified, the residents are farmers.

Last edited:

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
Hello,

Me and Anthony would like to apply for /warp sflandedknight. In the attached pictures you will see a test for the landed knight's towerhouse. It can be viewed ingame at /warp alex, where it's hovering somewhere above the second platform. In the attachments you'll also see a small map of what we envisioned layout-wise. Basically the towerhouse itself will be on a small mound in the centre, with wooden pallisade walls acting as curtain walls encircling the mound (á la Antlershf or Sow's Horn). Along the wooden walls will be a couple wooden watchtowers and a small gate for defensive purposes. We chose this sort of layout due to it being in a fairly sheltered and (at least from what we can see) pretty densely forested region. Inside the walls will be a couple auxiliary outbuildings such as housing for servants, a smith and a stable (or stableboys).

Attachments

• 2020-02-02_17.44.06.png
    2020-02-02_17.44.06.png
    867.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2020-02-02_17.44.12.png
    2020-02-02_17.44.12.png
    770.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 2020-02-02_17.44.25.png
    2020-02-02_17.44.25.png
    680.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 2020-02-02_17.44.30.png
    2020-02-02_17.44.30.png
    735.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Landed knight map.png
    Landed knight map.png
    696.3 KB · Views: 36

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
@AlexIsTragic: I like the plans so far! Regarding the tower, I'm a little bit unsure about the full blocks framing each side under the turrets. I find myself wondering what it would look like if you replaced the full blocks with walls to taper it a bit more. If this is unclear, just find me in-game, and we can see what it looks like together.

Other than that, can you provide a facade test for an outbuilding? I just want to see what you're thinking in terms of style/palette. Also, do you have any plans for the area immediately around the towerhouse complex?

Last edited:

AlexIsTragic

Poet
Pronouns
they/them
@AlexIsTragic: I like the plans so far! Regarding the tower, I'm a little bit unsure about the full blocks framing each side under the turrets. I find myself wondering what it would look like if you replaced the full blocks with walls to taper it a bit more. If this is unclear, just find me in-game, and we can see what it looks like together.

Other than that, can you provide a facade test for an outbuilding? I just want to see what you're thinking in terms of style/palette. Also, do you have any plans for the area immediately around the towerhouse complex?

Hi,

So regarding the outbuildings they would very much be in keeping with the style of the region, and would basically be standard rural hovels for the region (with maybe excluding the brick and wattle since it clashes with the pallisade). As for the tower, on one side I simply replaced the full blocks with wall blocks and on the other side I continued the turret down to the ground with wall blocks. Personally I prefer having it as is since the wall blocks make it look a little too overhang-y, but that's my personal opinion.

As for the immediate area around the towerhouse complex, we hadn't really taken this into consideration since we weren't entirely sure what you were planning with that particular area. Having looked around a bit in the area around it I think a hamlet just a bit outside the walls (with maybe mostly lumberworkers) might be approriate, since in case of emergency they could flee to the towerhouse for protection. Also I forgot to mention this in the original app but the central mound will need to be raised a bit to make it more of a feature and more man made-looking

Attachments

• 2020-02-03_12.01.30.png
    2020-02-03_12.01.30.png
    689.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2020-02-03_12.01.31.png
    2020-02-03_12.01.31.png
    693.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2020-02-03_12.03.53.png
    2020-02-03_12.03.53.png
    979.4 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Antony

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
@AlexIsTragic: I think I'll have to try a few things regarding the tower corners in game to see what I like. Also, rather than lumberworkers (since there's a logging camp and lumber mill not very far away already), I think it might fit the area for the hamlet to raise cattle (also since the name of the nearby village is oxcross). They could travel to Sarsfield, Lannisport, or near Tarbeck Hall to sell their goods (e.g., dairy, work oxen, leather, etc.) in the marketplace for some income. But otherwise, I approve!

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
The town at Sarsfield is now open for building!
(/warp sarsfield)

However, it's currently not open to probation builders until there are more approved houses in place that they can use as examples. Check this space for updates about this.

****SARSFIELD IS OPEN FOR PROBATION BUILDERS NOW!!!***

Last edited:
Hello :)

I would like to submit the following for consideration for the /warp sflogging minibuild (no PDFs involved).

What I propose is a main lumber mill building made of proper sandstone like the main Sarsfield style with daub and wooden outbuildings for storage of carts, etc. Then, a little to the north a small lumber camp nestled between totally cleared, partially cleared and untouched forest. The style of this would be a little different to reflect its temporary nature and also the availability of lumber: for example, most of the works would live in temporary housing of tents or very small wooden shacks (say 6-10 of these).

Meanwhile, supervisors, families or larger groups of people might live in larger, more permanent homes but these would be stumped off the ground due to the mud caused by forest clearing. However, both types of housing will be more focused on sleeping and storage space with eating and cooking spaces skewing more to being outside and communal.

I propose the following layout:

And I have the following tests on my plot for various components (apologies for small images due to upload limits):

Retaining walls (due to the camp being in a hillside, downhill from the planned forest)

Signs of felling, clearing and preliminary branch removal (all the bits that would be done before carting to the lumber mill)

Worker temporary housing (due to them moving around a lot as the forest clears)

More permanent cabins (raised off the muddy ground and using more wood than the typical area style)

These tests and more can be found at /warp mars but the build would likely achieve better integration with the surroundings if the surrounding forest was put in first.

Hope you like it!

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I like your plans, Mars! What type of lumber mill are you planning to have, though? I'm leaning towards water myself, but you might know a better mechanism for the area. Also, I don't think I would be able to put in the entire nearby forest, but I can do what Marg and Ammika are doing at Whitegrove and mark the bounds of the forest with wool and maybe do some transition-y bits. Would that work for you?

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Looks like I'm finished my winery at Sarsfield (/sffarm2) ! Special thanks to Alex for designing the main home and helping the whole way 'cause I'm a doodoo brain!
Let me know if there's any issues!

Mimi, the winery looks great! There's only like 2 things I'd change up a bit: the grass in the vineyard area (it can be really patchy in areas where it might not naturally be) and the amount of pink flowers (it's fine to have flowers, but that's a lot of pink. maybe replace some of the pink with cow parsley? or more green decorative plants?) Once you take care of these things, I think I'll be ready to post-approve.

Reactions: MimiStockwell

zanji

Herald
wanna apply for sffarm1:

red: main building with attached stables/shed/storage
blue: shed
yellow: granary thingys

space between the houses will be a yard with a well and stuff.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
@zanji: The building shapes look pretty good, but in general they are way too close to the river. I think the buildings should be pushed back towards the mountain on the less arable soil.