Probation: KJS1000

KJS1000

Mummer
1st build low class farmers house at /warp waterman cords X:-3B22 Z:-2480 Y:4B(3)

Last edited:

KJS1000

Mummer
2nd build low class tanners house at /warp musgood cords X: 33D2 Z: 17900 Y: 75(4)

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
hey, you built a house at Norrey. Its my fault that I didn't indicate that it wasn't open by having a board with the style guide right next to the warp.

I'll be your probation leader! As you likely know, you have to build at least 5 different houses in 5 different styles and if, after your probationary month, they are up to scratch and I have no issues, you can become a full builder.
I'll give feedback on your existing houses and any you make within the probation period, it'll be easier for me to find them if they are all here.
I am looking forward to working with you, especially as you had a really good try at the Norrey style, which can be pretty difficult.
Goodluck!

KJS1000

Mummer
3rd build low class farm house at /warp sthvillage cords X: -6422 Z:16788 Y: 57(3)
4th build bake house at /warp sarsfield cords X: -59DB Z: 10737 Y: B1(5)
5th build low class weavers house at /warp norreyvillage cords X: 346 Z: -14994 Y: B7(5)

KJS1000

Mummer
I'm so sorry about the norreyvill house thing before, I thought you had to tag your build with a green banner lol

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
all Good. I’ll have all your buildings so far check by tomorrow and feedback on all of them

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I've had a look at you first building in waterman. You've worked really well with the style guide. It looks good, especially the fireplace! Just some things to note:
-Lower class houses should only have 1 tool bench. so perhaps move the firewood store to the north eastern edge of the room where the pots are.

-Your roof is a bit unusual. There are steep sections of the sod where it looks like a block was forgotten and the ceiling reflects the strangeness of those shapes. I, or any other builders could help you with that if need be. What I find to be an easy way of doing it is building it from the outside first then covering up the underside.

-The house is quite large for 1 person. you could probably add move the table into the space the firewood store currently occupies, add another chair or 2 and enlarge the bed space to perhaps 2 beds. You could also experiment with using northern bed and dark thatch slab together.

-You've done a good job with trying out variable heights in carpet using both the carpet block and the full block. Just some tips
  • Have carpet block in the centre or where the rug/carpet has bunched up
  • Have the blocks connected on their 4 sides. they shouldn't be connected on diagonals like it is around the table/bed
-the yard is pretty empty. you could include a small wood chopping spot or something similar, an outhouse or something else to break up the large open space.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
now, I've notice you are beginning to make a habit of slightly changing the plots you work on and not necessarily following the style.

Lemonbear has mentioned it at sarsfield and I have noticed it at Norreyvillage. you have modified the silhouette without permission. Now, that would be fine in the case of chimneys but not in terms of changing the shape of the building from oval to rectangle or changing the angle of the walls. Just be aware of that and dont do it again.

With your stackhouse building, you have used a log beam in the ceiling, which is no longer the practice of the server.

KJS1000

Mummer
I did see several houses that used log beams in the ceiling in that area, but I’ll change it. With the house shape thing, Im not sure about sarsfield but with the norreyvillage house I guess I modified it when trying to make the roof look right. I am sorry and I wont do it again.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
yeah if you had a look at the style guide which is in the air above the village, directly west of the warp and up about 20 blocks, the particular build was meant to be the oval shaped building style. I can open the plot back up to you if you wish as it is my project, which is why I was a bit over-zealous.

I want you to make the changes to the houses that I have mentioned on melons and all the changes Lemon proposed. What I noticed as the areas that needed most improvement were gradient and making your yards interesting. Go ahead and ask a full builder on the server to show you how they do gradients if you are struggling.

KJS1000

Mummer
I’ll make all of the changes, though I think I’m going to try and find another place to build as norreyvillage seems a bit advanced. And you definitely have the right to be critical if it is your project. Thank you for the feed back on the other houses though, I’ll make the changes tomorrow as I’m currently away from my computer.

Reactions: AerioOndos

KJS1000

Mummer
OK I think I have fixed all of the problems at my houses. With the yard in sthvill I added some herb gardens and moved some things around. Also with the changing the plot thing in sarsfield, I think you were referring to part of my chimney that I built weird. I tried to make it so thats more apparent.

Reactions: AerioOndos

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
okay, i looked at your second sthvillage house and it has similar problems to the other one. I left melons there.

Also I left more melons at your Musgood house

Now I've looked at your vikary house and did not manage to finish all the melons due to some fam issues at the time. But what I did note is that you can use a much smaller bellows for a small forge. Look at the one in Wells in the north, its a great example. Also, you mixed pine needles into the yards floor. Don't do it in a yard with no pine trees nearby unless you need a way to make disgusting, soggy hay in an animal pen or similar as a way to break up big chunks of mud and dark thatch looks too nice for it.
Theres still more stuff to note there, but thats what I can remember at this moment. I'll have more detail for you in a day or so.

I still need to review your updated Sarsfield house and Pyle house. interior ceilings should be flush with the exterior, you had stone and wood as insulation in the stackhouse and musgood houses. for interior ceilings, just line the underside of the outside with wooden stairs. I left a demonstration at Musgood and fixed up your first sth house as an example.