Completed Project Application: Stoney Sept

_Simbaa

Printmaker
Blackwater around stoney sept be like:
how-to-make-breadcrumbs-6-1200.jpg

Howy

Royal Messenger
The first SS Mini, 'The Stoney Sept Lumber Mill', is open now for applications! The description is as follows:

"The Stoney Sept lumber mill. ‘Lumberjacks’ cut logs cut down in the nearby Threepenny wood and driven by cart to the mill for processing. Lumber is then shipped down the river by millworkers either on lowboats or in ‘stacks’."

-------

The mini location can be found at /warp sslumbermill. The general area is open for use, and as the sprawl is still in planning stages nearby, the successful applicant will have flexibility in how much land is used for the mill. Please note the lumber mill is reasonably sized, and serves the town and its surrounding lands. Applicants also have the option of using the nearby river to 'power' the mill, although it is at their discretion whether or not to do so.

Please apply with screenshots of tests - applicants are encouraged to copy/paste the relevant chunk of land to their test plot for testing.

The Mill should have a large yard as well as nearby cut-down trees.

Reactions: Luk and AerioOndos

Howy

Royal Messenger
The tags and markers have been removed for Stoney Sept (the town proper). The town proper (houses inside the walls and the small docks area) came in at a total of 289 houses! To my surprise, that is less than the total amount of houses of the original Stoney Sept.

Huge thanks to everyone who was involved, especially Spike who build a crazy amount of plots and finished a few off too!

The tags and markers have been removed for Stoney Sept (the town proper). The town proper (houses inside the walls and the small docks area) came in at a total of 289 houses! To my surprise, that is less than the total amount of houses of the original Stoney Sept.

Huge thanks to everyone who was involved, especially Spike who build a crazy amount of plots and finished a few off too!
No problem, was fun :)

I've removed a tag you missed.

Reactions: Howy and AerioOndos

Howy

Royal Messenger
Hey all, new area open for building, called SS+! Kind of in the main town, but its a smaller and poorer area with a few mid class houses mixed in.

/warp ssplus to access the new area!

Reactions: Augurex

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey all, new area open for building, called SS+! Kind of in the main town, but its a smaller and poorer area with a few mid class houses mixed in.

/warp ssplus to access the new area!
Why?

Edit | The town is already quite large, and the new area blocks a nice view on one of the city gates. SS+ also has a very unnatural shape, especially in regards to the terrain, and for some reason has walls despite being a fairly small area without too much importance. How would the 289 households of the actual town feel if their taxes were spend to defend the 22 that decided the other side of the river would be a good place to settle?

Last edited:

Howy

Royal Messenger
I think I did it use to only say 'why?' and I didnt know how to respond haha.

I mean to be fair those houses pay tax too. The wall however is intended to be ruined, much akin to the extra wall around wh sprawl (poor/low upkeep). This wall was in the original application too in the same shape. Theres definitely an element of me thinking it looks nice, breaks up the sprawl (or will do on that side). Don't get the blocking the view bit, the sprawl houses would do that anyway.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
The wall was indeed in the original application, but I was under the impression it was dropped after the discourse below:
  • The part of the town outside of the meander, on the west side, seems to be rather dense and walled. I suggest to turn it into a large sprawl area (and do te same at the other town entrances), having the meander contain the full extend of the town. I think it would result in a more natural feel of the town, since there is no real incentitive to extend across the river rather than further into the peninsula of the meander (especially regarding defences).
Hey Stoop, thanks for the feedback:

1. This was to meet the description of the town's 'walls' (rather than just 'wall', singular). However I think that walls could be interpreted as a single wall, in which case I agree it may be too dense on that side of the river. I am unsure how to approach it, and would welcome your opinion on whether the description of 'walls' can refer to a single wall. I originally chose that side to expand towards as well due to the shallow nature of the river there, thereby not impeded on by the same limitations a wider river might pose (hard to explain what I mean). ((NOTE: I've realised how to make one wall plural by using different angles. I'll apply this to fix the issue))

A sprawl would indeed block the view as well, but not so much as the town expansion would do. Houses in sprawl generally are low and spread out, and the gate would tower over them and would be visibly from viewpoints between houses. In a walled town expansion, these viewpoints would not exist and the houses are taller. You'd literally be pushing the elements that make the town unique into the background.

You mention it breaks up the sprawl, but why does the sprawl need to be broken up?

Howy

Royal Messenger
Honesty been so long since the app I can only really remember the app itself.

I personally prefer the wall. If it helps tho, I can make it much smaller and more akin to the size of a palisade or similar (one/two thick and short). I have already reduced the size from five blocks tall to two/three and sometimes four depending on slopes.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Honesty been so long since the app I can only really remember the app itself.

I personally prefer the wall. If it helps tho, I can make it much smaller and more akin to the size of a palisade or similar (one/two thick and short). I have already reduced the size from five blocks tall to two/three and sometimes four depending on slopes.
If you're going to build it anyway you might as well go all out; there is no need to half-ass something because someone doesn't agree with it, especially if the defenses you speak of are already smaller than the "main" defenses.

That said, I think it sets a dangerous precedent to "kind of forget about the feedback".

Reactions: Enah